Sons Not Slaves
The Relationships of the Gospel of Grace
For Sermon Slides, click here.
Introduction: The irony of the argument—“No longer slaves.”
Thesis Stated: Faith in Christ makes us sons of God (3:26-29)
• Faith in Christ makes us children of God (26).
• Baptism into Christ identifies us with Christ (27).
• Unity in Christ brings equality to all believers (28).
• Belonging to Christ makes us heirs of the promise made to Abraham (29).
Thesis Illustrated: An heir does not receive full benefits until the Father says so (4:1-2)
• An heir is treated like a slave when he is a child (1).
• An heir has guardians and managers until the Father grants his benefits (2).
Thesis Applied: The law remained until the gospel of faith in Christ arrived (4:3-7)
• Before Christ, God’s people were enslaved by the law (3-4).
• Christ redeemed us from slavery to make us sons (4-5).
• Because we are God’s sons, we are His heirs (6-7).
The Gospel Truth:
God’s plan was to use the law to manage His children
until Christ came and brought them into the privileges of full sonship,
and the benefits of being an heir of Abraham’s promises.
- Monday: Romans 8:1-8
- Tuesday: Romans 8:9-11
- Wednesday: Romans 8:12-17
- Thursday: Ephesians 3:1-6
- Friday: Galatians 4:8-20
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will stop acting like a slave and live like a son (or daughter) in the Kingdom.
- I will have a significant conversation this week about the equality of all people as image bearers, and how to live without prejudice.
- I will have a significant conversation this week about all believers being equally valuable in the sight of God, and how to live without judgment.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 3:26-4:7.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- Discuss your understanding of the American Civil War. What connotations does the idea of slavery bring with it?
- Sonship comes with privileges. Why would some of those privileges be delayed?
- What does it mean that we relate to God as a son and daughter?
- Why is it difficult to treat others as equals? How common is prejudice? How can we overcome our blindness to our own prejudices?
- How does prejudice express itself in the church? What about at Fellowship?
- What is one step each member of your group can take to start acting more like a son or daughter of God, and less like a slave?
National Collection Week is here! Please feel free to join us for our ribbon cutting at 10AM tomorrow morning when we open our Drop Off location doors. All Fellowship boxes should be dropped off back here at the church by next Sunday (November 19) which is the day we will dedicate our boxes. Don’t forget to visit “Follow Your Box” on samaritanspurse.org to make your postage donation and to get your tracking labels. If you signed up to work at the Drop Off, please come 15 minutes before your time for training. Snacks may be dropped of the day before, or by 15 minutes before we open. Lunch should be dropped off by 11:30AM. Thank you so much for faithfully packing and taking part in this ministry! Please continue to pray for the collection and the children who will receive these boxes!
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Conway Community Thanksgiving Service Gather with believers from churches and ministries all across Conway tonight, 6–7PM, as we worship, pray, fellowship, and give thanks for all that God is doing in and through our city. Service will be held at True Holiness Saints Center (198 E. Hwy. 286, Conway).
FSM Middle School Retreat Parents, coming up November 17–19, Fellowship Student Ministries will be taking our 5th-8th grade students to Camp Solgohachia for our Fall Middle School Retreat. The retreat is a great opportunity for your student to connect with God and others in an intentional and fun setting, as we focus on discipleship and what it means to follow Jesus in our everyday life. Cost for the weekend is $85. Click Here to sign up (deadline to sign up is today).
Parents Night Out Christmas is fast approaching and that means Parents Night Out here at Fellowship. Mark your calendar now for Friday, December 8, 6–8:30PM. This is a great opportunity for you to take some time to relax, reconnect, and enjoy your Friday evening while we have fun with your kids (birth-4th grade) for the night. RSVP to Heather Mckinney by Friday, December 1 and contact Heather for questions or more info.
FSM Family Youth and Christmas Dinner Mark your calendar for Wednesday, December 13, 6–8PM. FSM students and their families look forward to this annual opportunity to gather together to share a dinner and celebrate what God has done over the past year. Contact Shane Wanamaker for questions or more information.
IFO Christmas Party at Fellowship International Friendship Outreach (IFO) has several upcoming opportunities to get involved in leaving mission fingerprints right here in our own neighborhoods of Conway. Invite a student for Christmas, attend the IFO Conway Christmas party here at Fellowship on December 1, or host a new international student who will be arriving January 6–7. Contact Miseon Seong at email@example.com, (501) 205–9207 for more information.
Stay Connected with Fellowship Throughout the Week Fellowship sends out a weekly email with information and details on all that God is doing through our church, ministries, and community, as well as equipping resources you can use throughout the week. Fill out a Connection Card or click Here to sign up.
Prayer at Fellowship We believe prayer changes things, and we desire to come alongside you throughout the week to pray with and for you. You can use the Connection Card, the Fellowship App, or click Here to submit a prayer request at anytime. Our staff, elders, and prayer team, made up of people whose SHAPE is to pray for others, would love to know how we can pray for you.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 10/29/17 $24,619
Giving for Week Ending 11/05/17 $31,759
Year to Date Needed $452,384
Year to Date Giving $464,955
Over (Under) Budget $12,571