James: The Man – Brother of Our Lord
James: The Minister – Pastor and Congregation
James The Message – Making Trials Work for You
Double Introduction: (1:1-18)
• Trials Produce Character (1:1-11)
• Trials Produce Life or Death (1:12-18)
Main Idea: In the Midst of Trials be… (1:19-20)
• Quick to Hear – Active in Obedience (1:21-2:24)
• Slow to Speak – Quiet and Controlled in Response (3:1-18)
• Slow to Anger – Humble in Relationships (4:1-5:6)
Double Conclusion: (5:7-20)
• Motivations for Endurance (5:7-11)
• Enduring Trials in Community (5:12-20)
- Monday: James 1
- Tuesday: James 2
- Wednesday: James 3
- Thursday: James 4
- Friday: James 5
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will read through the book of James this week at least _____________ times.
- I will discuss honestly with a close friend my usual response to trials.
- I will pray that God will use this series in James to change my response to trials.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 1:1-4.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- What has been your experience or feelings about the book of James prior to this series?
- What is a trial? How is it different than just living in a broken world?
- What trials are you facing right now?
- What is quick obedience?
- Why is it important to hold your tongue especially in the midst of trials? Any personal experiences here?
- Anger is an issue for most people even though we handle it differently. How do you handle your anger? (Turned inward? Turned outward? Buried deep?)
- What are you anticipating from this series having heard the introduction?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Fellowship on the River May 1, 4:00 p.m. Join your Fellowship Family for one of the few church-wide events we have. Enjoy great food and live music while hanging out with some really great Fellowship people. Get your tickets at the Connection Center (Chicken – $8, Hamburgers $6, Hot Dogs $3).
Fellowship 101 New to Fellowship? Join us Sunday, April 17 (session 1), and April 24 (session 2), 9:00 a.m. in the library (located on the second floor). You will learn about our ministries, beliefs, and how the Lord is leading Fellowship. Anyone looking to make Fellowship their home should attend both weeks of Fellowship101.
2016 Senior Recognition We love celebrating our student’s accomplishements. We are asking for all graduating high school seniors this year to please email firstname.lastname@example.org with pictures and information in order for us to recognize them on Sunday, April 24, during both services.
Baby Dedication Dedication of babies is a special time of commitment by the parents and the Fellowship Family to bring up children in the ways of the Lord. We will have a special baby dedication on Sunday, May 8 (both services). To have your baby dedicated, please email email@example.com.
Fellowship Kids Test Drive/ Why serve? We are called to pass on the faith to the next generation. Take a test drive and see what it’s like to serve in Fellowship Kids! Email Heather Fulmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join us May 1 or May 15, either service .
2016 Easter Offering Thank you for your faithfulness to seeing God’s purpose furthered through the Easter Offering. This year’s offering was $26,866 and will help Noe Christian School in the Czech Republic and The Renewal Ranch building fund.
Mother’s Day The Girlfriend’s Ministry is sponsoring a baby bottle drive for Life Choices and a diaper/wipes drive for Soul Food Café. Please take a baby bottle to fill with change (checks made out to Life Choices) and return to Fellowship by May 15th (after, please drop off directly to Life Choices). Drop off diapers and wipes to the Connection Center anytime between now and May 15th (after, please drop off directly to Soul Food).
July 1 – April 3, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 03/27/16 27,942
Giving for 04/03/16 19,817
Year to Date Needed 861,526
Year to Date Giving 883,100
Over (Under) Budget 21,574