Trials Produce Character James 1:1-11
The Writer: James, The Brother of Our Lord (1:1a)
The Readers: Scattered Believers (1:1b)
The Issue: Trials, Tests, Temptations (1:2-8)
• Trials Defined: ______________________________________
• Trials cannot be avoided.
“____________” not “____________”
• Trials come in all shapes and sizes.
• Trials can be valuable.
• Trials must be handled with wisdom.
Perspective – The _______________ leads to maturity.
Prayer – The Father gives _________when we ________ Him.
The Examples: Trials are Universal (1:9-11)
• A Universal Experience
The Great _______________________.
The Great _______________________.
• A Universal Need
In Poverty: Look at your ____________ for character growth.
In Prosperity: Look at your __________ for character growth.
Trials produce character for everyone
when handled with patience and wisdom.
- Monday: Job 1:1-11
- Tuesday: Job 1:12-22
- Wednesday: Job 2:1-6
- Thursday: Job 2:7-10
- Friday: James 1:12-18
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will consider/reconsider my current trial(s) and approach them as an opportunity for growth.
- I will pray about my trial and not complain about my trial.
- I will ask God to show me the character He is developing in me.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 1:1-11
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- How has your faith been tested in the past?
- How have you seen character growth and maturity develop when you endured?
- How is your faith being tested right now?
- How do you view a God who will test His children to help them grow?
- What evidence is present in your life that allows you to trust that God is good?
- How is being humbled beneficial?
- When does God give His ultimate blessings to us? What will that be like?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Fellowship on the River May 1, 4:00 p.m. Join your Fellowship Family for one of the few church-wide events we have. Enjoy great food and live music while hanging out with some really great Fellowship people. Get your tickets at the Connection Center (chicken – $8, hamburgers $6, hot dogs $3). Get tickets today! Final food ticket sales through next Sunday only!
Fellowship Kids Test Drive/ Why serve? We are called to pass on the faith to the next generation. Take a test drive and see what it’s like to serve in Fellowship Kids! Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join us May 1 or May 15, either service.
2016 Senior Recognition We love celebrating our student’s accomplishments. We are asking for all graduating high school seniors this year to please email email@example.com with pictures and information in order for us to recognize them on Sunday, April 24, during both services.
Baby Dedication Dedication of babies is a special time of commitment by the parents and the Fellowship Family to bring up children in the ways of the Lord. We will have a special baby dedication on Sunday, May 8 (both services). To have your baby dedicated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mother’s Day The Girlfriend’s Ministry is sponsoring a baby bottle drive for Life Choices and a diaper/wipes drive for Soul Food Café. Please take a baby bottle to fill with change (checks made out to Life Choices) and return to Fellowship by May 15th (after, please drop off directly to Life Choices). Drop off diapers and wipes to the Connection Center anytime between now and May 15th (after, please drop off directly to Soul Food).
Elder Appreciation After faithfully serving our body for the past six years Carey Allison and Gene Holman are rotating off our active Elder Board to become Supporting Elders. Both men served with integrity and prayed for your needs consistently during their time serving. Their service to the Lord and the Fellowship family will be rewarded in heaven (1 Peter 5:1-4). Please take time to thank them today.
Fellowship Office Hours The Fellowship office is open Monday-Thursday 8:30-4:30 and Friday 8:30-2:00 to serve you.
July 1 – April 10, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 03/27/16 23,386
Giving for 04/03/16 19,817
Year to Date Needed 883,103
Year to Date Giving 906,487
Over (Under) Budget 23,384