The Temple, the Tabernacle and the Presence of God
The relational Presence of God is a central, unifying theme in the Bible.
- Major concept of tabernacle and temple: the man residence of God
- The Heavenly Temple/Tabernacle (see esp. Hebrews 8-9)
- God’s Garden Temple (Genesis 2)
The eviction (Genesis 3)
- Overview of Exodus
Mt. Sinai (Exodus 19)
Constructing the Tabernacle (Exodus 25-31; 35-40.
- A place for God to dwell among them (Exodus 25:8)
- Increasing degrees of holiness and sacred space
- In the Holy of Holies (the most sacred place)
- In the Holy Place
- In the Courtyard
The Manner of Constructing the Tabernacle: Exactly as the LORD commanded God moves in (Exodus 40:34-38)! Implications: Leviticus Christ in the Tabernacle?
- Solomon and the First Temple (1 Kings 5-8; 2 Chronicles. 2-5)
- Solomon’s wisdom, splendor and his idolatry: 1 Kings 11:1-13 as final summary
- Deuteronomy 17:14-17 prohibited three things of the King
- Is the narrator in 1 Kings 1-11 praising Solomon or with subtlety criticizing him
- Comparison of the construction of the Tabernacle in Exodus and the Temple in 1 Kings
- Strong connections to the Exodus story
Similarities between the Tabernacle and the Temple
- Stark differences: The role of God, attitude of the Israelites, the craftsmen
- The Departure of God’s Presence from the Temple due to sin (Ezekiel 8-11)
- Reconstruction of the Second Temple (Ezra, Nehemiah, Haggai)
- No mention of the Presence of God returning to the Post-exilic Temple!
The New Testament
- Jesus (Immanuel, “God with us”) enters into the Temple
- Presence of God in the Temple replaced with Presence of Holy Spirit in us (Acts 2)
- The Final Scene: Revelation 21-22 (Back in the Garden with the Presence of God)
- Monday: Hebrews 8-9
- Tuesday: Genesis 2
- Wednesday: Exodus 19
- Thursday: Exodus 40
- Friday: Ezekiel 8-11
- Saturday: Revelation 21-22
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will recognize that the Presence of God is closely associated with holiness, power, and relationship.
- I will reflect on the Presence of God in me through the Holy Spirit (instead of in the Temple or Tabernacle) and I will rejoice and tremble at the privilege.
Home Church Questions
- Read Matthew 1:22-23 and 28:20, along with John 1:14, and discuss how Jesus relates to the theme of the Presence of God as presented in the sermon.
- How does the overall biblical theme of the Presence of God effect how you view your relationship with God?
- What role does the atonement of Jesus Christ play in the Presence of God’s story? That is, how does the death of Christ and the removal of your sin effect your ability to experience the Presence of God and His holiness?
- Read Exodus 19. How does the interaction between God and the people of Israel (including Moses) in this chapter resemble a temple situation?
Weekly Budget Needs $23,033
Giving for Week Ending 03/26/17 24,071
Giving for Week Ending 04/02/17 20,916
Year to Date Needed 921,322
Year to Date Giving 978,238
Over (Under) Budget 56,916
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Good Friday Crucifixion Dinner Join us Friday, April 14, at 6:30 p.m. as we participate in Good Friday through the Crucifixion Dinner and remember together what Christ did on the Cross. Childcare will be provided for 6 years and under (RSVP to Shann@conwaycorp.net for childcare requests).
Easter Offering This year, through the Easter Offering, we want to invest in sharing the Great Story, that is the Gospel of Christ, through the ministry of Operation Christmas Child. This offering will fund our fall packing party. We will collect the Easter Offering at the end of our worship service on Easter Sunday (April 16). You can also give in advance at Fellowshipconway.org/
FSM Senior Sunday We would like to honor our graduating HS seniors with special recognition and a ceremony on Sunday, May 7. If you have a senior graduating high school this year, please e-mail up to five photos of your child to Emily at email@example.com by Sunday, April 23 so that we can make sure to include them in our Senior Sunday presentation.
Fellowship Kids’ Journey to the Cross Fellowship Kids’ Journey to the Cross brings the mission and resurrection of Jesus to life through engaging storytelling and interaction. Your kids won’t want to miss this exciting experience during both of our Kids services on Sunday, April 9 and Sunday, April 16. Contact Heather
McKinney, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Family Sunday Our next Family Sunday will be May 7 when we come together before the Lord to worship as believers of all ages. This is a great chance for us as parents to model our walk with the Lord on Sunday mornings as we pray, worship, and partake in communion together to remember Jesus’ sacrifice. Note: We will not have our usual Fellowship Kids or FSM services on Family Sunday as we will worship the Lord together.
Fellowship on the River Mark your calendars for Fellowship on the River, coming up on Sunday, May 7. This is a great opportunity to come together as a Fellowship family for a time of fun, food, music, and ‘fellowshipping together’. No cost to attend unless you will be ordering food. Tickets for food will be available to purchase beginning April 23 and April 30 on our website or at the Connection Center.
Fellowship Kids Camp Fellowship Kids Camp, June 19-23, is a great opportunity for your kids (K-4th grade) to learn more about the Bible and have a great time doing it! Registration opens May 1. For more information, contact Heather McKinney at email@example.com