Enduring Trials in Community – Part 1
“Sanctification is a Team Sport”
Speak the Truth (5:12)
• Problem: Stop using extremes to qualify your words (5:12a).
• Solution: Say what you mean and mean what you say (5:12b).
• Rationale: Tell the truth to avoid the judgment (5:12c).
Pray and Praise (5:13-15)
• Adversity: When you’re in the middle of it, pray. (5:13a).
• Advantage: When you’re on top of it, praise (5:13b).
• Sick and Tired: When you’re weak and weary pray with others (5:14-15).
Confess Your Sins (5:16-18)
• Confession: Be real in the midst of your community (5:16a).
• Petition: Pray because it works (5:16b-18b).
In the midst of trials
prayer is powerful and confession is critical
as the hallmarks of a spiritually healthy community.
- Monday: Ephesians 5:25-32
- Tuesday: Hebrew 10:24-25 (memorize)
- Wednesday: 1 Kings 17:1-7
- Thursday: 1 Kings 18:20-46
- Friday: James 5:19-20
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will seek out and join a Home Church.
- I will invest deeply in the relationships in my Home Church; practicing prayer, praise, and confession.
- I will confess to one trusted person a sin that continues to trip me up.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 5:12-18.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this weeks message?
- Is there anything from the series on James that you would like to discuss with your Home Church?
- How can we be better as we pray for one another?
- How can we be better as we rejoice with one another?
- How can we be better as we confront one another?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- How can the Home Church pray for you, or hold you accountable for applying the message?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Home Church – All About Relationships Home Church, Fellowship’s small group ministry, launches this week and runs through December 11. We invite you to check out the bios available on our website. Select the place you feel has the best potential for you to connect relationally, then sign up for a group at the Connection Center or email Shane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellowship College and Young Adults A new ministry for anyone 18-25 is launching at Fellowship Sunday, August 21, 6:30 p.m. The desire of this new ministry is to provide a space for people in this life stage to connect with one another and God. If you would like more information, email our College & Young Adults Pastor, Zach Benton, email@example.com.
Father / Son Campout The Father/Son Campout is September 23-24 at Toad Suck Park and will provide fathers a setting to engage with their sons in order to teach life skills and draw closer to Jesus. Cost is $5/child with a maximum of $15 total. To sign up, visit the Connection Center or online at fellowshipconway.org/father-son-campout/. For more information, contact Heather McKinney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FSM Midweek Kick Off Fellowship Student Ministries kicks off MidWeek this Wednesday, August 24, 6:30-8:30 p.m. for 5th-12th grade students. We start with an opening time of worship and fellowship, then each student is connected to an age/grade small group. For more information, contact Alan Greenwood at email@example.com.
OCC Special FBC Packing party Mark your calendars now so that you don’t miss out on our special Operation Christmas Child packing party. The pack will be on Monday, September 26th, 6-9:00 p.m. We will need as many hands as possible. Last year we packed 1,200 shoeboxes during this one night and this year we have committed to 2,400! Please come join us for this exciting, fun, kingdom work!
IFO Welcome Party Second Baptist Student Center Saturday, September 3rd, 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Join us as we welcome students from all over the world during this potluck event, food provided. Bring your family and hang out with the students. Contact Miseon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-205-9207 for questions.
Fellowship Kiosk Checkbook and cash a thing of your past? We have you covered. At the Connection Center is a kiosk where you can give to Fellowship, or make a payment for a Fellowship activity using your credit or debit card. It’s quick and easy!
Weekly Budget Needs $23,033
Giving for Week ending 08/07/16 24,977
Giving for Week ending 08/14/16 17,641
Year to Date Needed 161,231
Year to Date Giving 141,266
Over (Under) Budget (19,965)