Enduring Trials in Community – Part 2
“Sanctification is a team sport.”
Away They Go (5:19a)
• Bad Belief: In adversity we tend to stray from what is true.
• Bad Behavior: In adversity we tend to stray from what is right.
Bring Them Back (5:19b-20)
• Rescue: Walking in community means confronting sin.
• Restoration: Walking in community means restoring friends.
Rescue and Restoration (Galatians 6:1-5)
• Restoration of the friend is the goal.
• Realistic about the situation is the approach.
• Relationships of love is the context.
In the midst of trials
confronting sin and restoring relationships
are characteristics of authentic community
and may be a matter of life and death.
- Monday: James 1
- Tuesday: James 2
- Wednesday: James 3
- Thursday: James 4
- Friday: James 5
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will spend some time this week thinking about the disastrous effects of sin in my own life.
- I will pray that God will make me more graciously bold and lovingly involved in the lives of my friends.
- I will respond well (or at least better) when I am confronted about my own sin.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 5:19-20 and Galatians 6:1-5.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable or meaningful from this weeks message?
- Is there an immediate application you need to make?
- Why is confrontation so difficult?
- Tell a story of when someone has confronted you about a sin and the result was positive.
- Tell a story of when you confronted someone else about sin and the result was positive.
- If saving a soul from death and preventing further damaging behavior and consequences are in the balance, why would we NOT confront someone?
- Is a person’s response to our involvement in their life the deciding factor of whether or not to confront? What are deciding factors?
- How can the Home Church pray for you, or hold you accountable for applying the message?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Home Church – All About Relationships Home Church, Fellowship’s small group ministry, has launched but there’s still time to be part of it. We invite you to check out the bios available on our website or stop by the Connection Center.
Fellowship College and Young Adults Tonight at 6:30 p.m. The desire of this new ministry is to provide space for people in this life stage (18-25 years old) to connect with one another and God. If you would like more information, email our College and Young Adults Pastor at email@example.com or text him at 870-830-7305.
Father / Son Campout The Father/Son Campout is September 23-24 at Toad Suck Park and will provide fathers a setting to engage with their sons in order to teach life skills and draw closer to Jesus. Cost is $5/child with a maximum of $15 total or online at fellowshipconway.org/father-son-campout/. For more information, contact Heather McKinney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OCC Special FBC Packing Party Mark your calendars now so that you don’t miss out on our special Operation Christmas Child packing party. The pack will be on Monday, September 26th, 6-9:00 p.m. We will need as many hands as possible to pack 2,400 boxes! Please come join us for this exciting, fun, kingdom work!
IFO Welcome Party Second Baptist Student Center Saturday, September 3rd, 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Join us as we welcome students from all over the world during this potluck event, food provided. Bring your family and hang out with the students. Contact Miseon at email@example.com or 501-205-9207 for questions.
Fellowship Kiosk Checkbook and cash a thing of your past? We have you covered. At the Connection Center is a kiosk where you can give to Fellowship, or make a payment for a Fellowship activity using your credit or debit card. It’s quick and easy!
Men’s 33 (Vol 5) A Man and His Marriage Bring life to your marriage by building it around God’s grace and for His glory. These six sessions include: Foundation, Die to Live, Friendship, Intimacy, Threats, Game-Changers. Study starts Tuesdays, September 13, 6:30-8:30 p.m. and Wednesdays, September 14, 5:30-7:30 a.m.
Women’s Bible Studies For more information on Fall Bible Studies and Women of Faith Conference information see the insert provided today.
Weekly Budget Needs $23,033
Giving for Week Ending 08/14/16 17,641
Giving for Week Ending 08/21/16 16,734
Year to Date Needed 184,264
Year to Date Giving 158,999
Over (Under) Budget (25,265)