Advent | A Lineage of Grace
For Sermon Slides, click here.
Introduction: What is Advent?
A Lineage of Grace (Matthew 1:1-6)
Tamar, the Righteous (Genesis 38)
Jesus Christ, the Righteous (1 John 2:1-2)
God—through a lineage of grace—shows that Jesus’ first advent was
providentially guided, wholly inclusive, and all of grace.
- Monday: Genesis 38:1-11
- Tuesday: Genesis 38:12-30
- Wednesday: Ruth 4:1-22
- Thursday: Matthew 1:1-17
- Friday: Matthew 1:18-25
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- Will you resist our culture’s consumerist mentality this Advent season and instead cultivate your awareness of God’s gracious actions—past, present, and future?
- Will you actively participate in the Advent season this year through our Scripture reading plan or some other means? Need a plan? Fellowship has put together an Advent reading plan that you and your family can access by clicking here.
Home Church Questions
- Read Matthew 1:1-6 and Genesis 38:11-30.
- Did anyone hear something new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s passage or message?
- What do you know about the Advent season? Is it still relevant to observe Advent today?
- Have you or your family ever done anything special to celebrate the Advent season?
- Advent is a season of waiting and serves to heighten our anticipation of Christ’s arrival at Christmas. How do you deal with waiting? Would you consider yourself a patient person?
- The account of Judah and Tamar in Genesis 38 is scandalous, yet clearly Tamar is proclaimed “more righteous.” How might this story give us new insight into our understanding of righteousness?
- How is Christ’s righteousness good news for us and all the world?
- Name one specific thing you will do in response to God’s Word this week.
Every year, our Girlfriends Ministry assists local families and ministries through the Fellowship Angel Tree. This year, families from New Directions, the Conway Ministry Center, Conway Fire Department’s Boot Drive (benefiting families of Conway Public Schools). Ornaments with requested items are available in the atrium. Please return purchased items, wrapped and labeled by Sunday, December 17.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Christmas Eve Services Join us as we gather together as one family and celebrate the birth of our Savior on Christmas Eve with two candlelight services to choose from at 10:45AM and 6PM.
Christmas Offering For many, the end of the year offers a special opportunity to give back in worship of all God has done for us as we celebrate Advent and Christmas. This year, we are collecting a special Christmas Offering which will allow us to further our local impact and fund outreach opportunities within our community. You can donate to the Christmas Offering by clicking Here.
One Cry Prayer Gathering This coming Tuesday, December 5, believers and area churches from across Conway will be gathering together at True Holiness Saints Center (198 East Hwy. 286) to pray for God to move in our community, nation, and across the world.
Fellowship 101 New to Fellowship or been checking us out for while? We love sharing the how and why behind what we do and believe! Join us Sunday, January 14 and come learn more about who we are and get answers to any questions. Click Here to sign up.
Perspectives on the World Christian Movement Experience God’s heart for the nations and encounter His plan through the World Christian Movement. This 15-week class will help you discover practical and strategic opportunities to leverage your passions, training, and expertise for His glory. Tuesday nights, 6–9PM beginning January 15. Click Here or visit class.perspectives.org to sign up and for more information.
Volunteer a Meal and Your Time to help impact our homeless population here in Conway this winter. We are partnering with the Conway Ministry Center as they are setting up a 10-week warming station. As a church, we are going to provide a hot meal and some volunteers to stay the evening with those who need a warm and safe place to stay during the week of January 7–14. For more information, contact Michael Harrison or click here to sign up.
Upcoming Spring Studies There are several upcoming opportunities to get equipped and grow in your faith. Starting in January, our men’s and women’s ministries will be offering the below classes. More information to follow but mark your calendar now and consider who you could invite to come with you.
• Ladies Precepts Study – Acts Part 2 | Tuesday evenings | January 23 – March 13
• Ladies Armor of God Study | Thursdays evenings | January 25 – March 15
• Apologetics Equipping Class | Tuesday evenings | January 9 – March 20
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 11/19/17 $28,924
Giving for Week Ending 11/26/17 $24,721
Year to Date Needed $526,603
Year to Date Giving $537,979
Over (Under) Budget $11,376