Deeds of Flesh or Harvest of the Spirit
The Real Outcome of Freedom
For Sermon Slides, click Here.
The Deeds of Flesh: Self-centered destructive relationships (5:19-21)
• Sexual Immorality • Fits of Rage
• Impurity • Selfish Ambition
• Debauchery • Dissensions
• Idolatry • Factions
• Sorcery • Envy
• Enmity • Drunkenness
• Strife • Carousing
• Jealousy • Things like these
A flesh-driven lifestyle disqualifies one from inheritance, so we must crucify the flesh.
The Harvest of the Spirit: Love expressed as other-centered delight (5:22-23)
• Love • Goodness
• Joy • Faithfulness
• Peace • Gentleness
• Patience • Self-control
A spirit-driven lifestyle fulfills every demand of the law, so we must walk by the Spirit.
The Possession of Christ: Keep in step with the Spirit (5:24-26)
• Belonging to Christ allows you to die to your flesh. (5:24)
• Living by the Spirit means walking in the path He directs. (5:25)
• Reject competitive, arrogant envy. (5:26)
The Path to Victory: Consider yourself dead to flesh, and alive to the Spirit.
The Freedom Factor:
The successful, growing Christian
says, “No” to the constantly contentious appeal of the flesh
and, “Yes” to the peaceful guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Monday: Ephesians 5:18-22
- Tuesday: Romans 12:1-5
- Wednesday: Romans 13:11-14
- Thursday: 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
- Friday: Galatians 6:1-5
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will live “in step” with the Spirit.
- I will evaluate the direction of my own life. Am I self-centered or other-centered?
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 5:19-26.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- It is easy to cherry pick the most heinous sins from the vice list of Galatians 5:19-21. Since you know the “flesh” is still an issue for every Christian, which sins are ones that you personally struggle with?
- Why do you think the list ends with “things like these”?
- The “fruit of the Spirit” is a harvest that must be taken together. Why is this important to understand?
- What makes it easier to “keep in step with the Spirit?” Brainstorm a list both from Scripture and your own personal experience.
- Other-centered or self-centered is a way to think about the general direction of your life and whether it is “in step” with the Spirit. How is this a reflection of Christ-likeness? Who are the “others” that Christ loved? How does that raise the bar on the definition of “other-centered?”
Dads, we want you to have a special evening with your daughter to model how dating is supposed to be. Mark your calendars for Saturday, February 24, 7–9PM and take this opportunity with your daughter (5th – 12th grade) to go to dinner and then join us here at Fellowship for a night of dancing and fun. Cost is $5 per daughter. Deadline to sign up is today. Sign Up Here or stop by the Connection Center.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
FSM Missions Silent Auction Be a part of what God is doing in Fellowship Student Ministries, Wednesday, February 21, 6–8PM. Over 40 FSM students and other team members will take part in raising funds for their mission trips to Mission Arlington and the Czech Republic through a silent auction. The Auction will feature various items that will go directly to help fund mission trip costs. This year, music and entertainment will be provided by Palmer Music Co. and food will be catered by Tacos4Life. For more information and to donate services or assets, contact Shane Wanamaker.
Playtime for Preschoolers Parents, join us on Tuesday, March 6, 9–10:30AM. at Share the Love Club and bring your preschooler as we connect and spend time fellowshipping together while our children have playtime fun. Cost is $3 per child. contact Heather Fulmer or stop by the Connection Center.
Men’s Muster Men, mark your calendars for our annual Men’s Muster coming up April 20 & 21. This is a great opportunity to get refreshed in Creation and spend some time getting sharpened by other men as we engage with each other through God’s Word. Cost is $165 (only $20 due at sign up to reserve your spot). Sign up at Here or stop by the Connection Center.
Fellowship 30th Anniversary Celebration Sunday, March 11, Fellowship will be celebrating 30 years since the commissioning of our elders with a special celebration. More information to follow soon but mark your calendars now for this special time of giving thanks for all that God has done over the last 30 years.
Current Opportunities to Serve There are several opportunities to get plugged into serving in your gifts. Do you see a place you would like to get connected, or hear more about?
• Classic Care to serve our elderly and seniors // email Tracey at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Kids Ministry needs several volunteers to serve our kids through Journey to the Cross // email Heather at email@example.com
• IFO Conversation Club – International Students // email Miseon at firstname.lastname@example.org
• The GO Store – Volunteers needed February 17 & March 3 // email Erica at email@example.com
Prayer at Fellowship Our staff, elders, and prayer team would love to pray for and with you throughout the week! You can ask for prayer at anytime on the Fellowship App or by visiting Fellowshipconway.org/Prayer.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs 24,808
Giving for Week Ending 01/28/18 23,832
Giving for Week Ending 02/04/18 24,506
Year to Date Needed 770,466
Year to Date Giving 797,668
Over (Under) Budget 27,202
Generations Total 1,585,718
Received to Date 601,464