Walk by the Spirit
The Real Power of Freedom
For Sermon Slides, click Here.
Concept: Righteous living grows out of the internal drive of the Holy Spirit (5:16)
• Walk by the Spirit: A lifestyle guided and empowered by the Holy Spirit (5:16a).
• Desires of the Flesh: A lifestyle guided and empowered by selfish pleasures (5:16a).
Real freedom is empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Conflict: Our flesh and the Holy Spirit are in constant conflict (5:17)
• The Conflict: Desires of Flesh versus Holy Spirit (5:17a).
• The Resolution: The battle is not finished (5:17b).
Real freedom is engaged in an intense, lifelong struggle.
Consequence: Being guided by the Spirit frees you from the oppression of the law (5:18)
• Led by the Spirit: The orientation of your life is from the Holy Spirit (5:18a).
• Not under the Law: No longer relating to God on the basis of performance (5:18b).
Real freedom is personal not performance.
The Freedom Factor:
The believer is guided by the Holy Spirit,
even though the battle is intense
and the victory is future.
- Monday: Romans 6:11-14
- Tuesday: Romans 6:15-23
- Wednesday: Romans 7:4-6
- Thursday: Romans 7:7-12
- Friday: Galatians 5:19-26
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will acknowledge the weakness and utter inability of my own power to conquer sin in my life.
- I will pay closer attention to the “prompting” of the Holy Spirit.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 5:16-18.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- Review the connection between the work of the Holy Spirit and the Scripture.
- Review the connection between the work of the Holy Spirit and being conformed to the image of Christ (compare Galatians 5:16 and Romans 13:14).
- Share an experience of when you know you were “walking by the Spirit.”
- The battle within us rages constantly. How aware are we of the battle going on in us, on a regular basis?
- Talk about the weakness of the flesh. How is our flesh weak, and how is our flesh really quite strong?
- To the best of your ability, have a discussion about the leading, guiding, and filling of the Holy Spirit in practical terms.
Ladies, join with other Fellowship women this coming Thursday evening, February 8 at 6:30PM for a panel discussion on the intersection of world values with Christian values and the conflict that arises. We’ll engage topics such as using your job as ministry to impact lives, faith in the workplace, handling harassment, and more. Childcare provided. Sign up and find more info by clicking Here.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Father & Daughter Barn Dance Dads, we want you to have a special evening with your daughter to model how dating is supposed to be. Saturday, February 24, 7–9PM take this opportunity to invite your daughter (5th – 12th grade) to dinner and then join us here at Fellowship for a night of dancing and fun. Cost is $5 per daughter, $15 maximum. Deadline to sign up is February 11. Register online by clicking Here. For more information, contact email@example.com.
FSM Missions Silent Auction Be a part of what God is doing in Fellowship Student Ministries on Wednesday, February 21, 6–8PM. Over 40 FSM students and other team members will take part in raising funds for their mission trips to Mission Arlington and the Czech Republic through a silent auction. The Auction will feature various items that will go directly to help fund mission trip costs. This year, music and entertainment will be provided by Palmer Music Co. and food will be catered by Tacos4Life. For more information and to donate services or assets, contact Shane Wanamaker.
Men’s Muster Men, mark your calendars for our annual Men’s Muster coming up April 20–21. More information coming soon.
“Souper Bowl” Sunday Today is the “Souper Bowl”! Thanks to all who have participated. If you weren’t able to bring your “meaty” soups today, you can deliver them personally to Bethlehem House (1115 Parkway St.)
Internet Safety Class for Parents Parents, this class will be a great way to better understand how you can monitor and protect your children in today’s online culture. It’s a must if you have a child that uses a tablet, phone, or computer. Class will be held tomorrow night, Monday, February 5, 6PM, at Conway Christian’s Gymnasium.
February One Cry Prayer Gathering This Tuesday, February 6, 6AM believers and area churches from across Conway will be gathering together at City Church (766 S. Harkrider) to pray for God to move in our community, nation, and across the world.
Fellowship 30th Anniversary Celebration Sunday, March 11, Fellowship will be celebrating 30 years since the commissioning of our elders with a special celebration. More information to follow soon but mark your calendars now for this special time of giving thanks for all that God has done over the last 30 years.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs 24,808
Giving for Week Ending 01/21/18 24,917
Giving for Week Ending 01/28/18 23,832
Year to Date Needed 745,726
Year to Date Giving 773,512
Over (Under) Budget 27,786
Generations Total 1,585,388
Received to Date 597,103