Song of Songs A Return to the Garden
Interpreting the Song
• What is the Song about?
A dramatic poem about human love written by God to give us wisdom.
• For whom is it written? – Single Women and Married Couples
• Proverbs is written to young boys telling them to wait for intimacy within marriage. It is worth it!
• Song of Songs is written to young girls telling them to wait for intimacy within marriage. It is worth it!
• Song of Songs is written for couples telling them to keep the passion alive in their marriage. It is worth it!
• What does it mean?
• Passion is not perverse. Do not avoid it.
• Passion is powerful. Do not ignore it.
• Passion is pivotal. Do not neglect it.
Living the Song
• Singleness – “Do not awaken love before it is time.”
• Marriage – “I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine.”
• Worship – “Intimacy in the context of covenant.”
Applying the Song
• Talk about this with your children.
• Talk about this with your spouse.
• Secure your covenant with your spouse.
• Deepen your commitment to grow in physical intimacy.
• Learn how to worship by giving yourself to another in the context of covenant faithfulness.
True love is worth the wait and a fire that should not fizzle.
- Monday: Genesis 1:26-27
- Tuesday: Genesis 3:1-7
- Wednesday: Genesis 3:8-24
- Thursday: Psalm 45
- Friday: Song of Solomon 1:1-2:7
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will reaffirm my covenant promise to be faithful to my spouse.
- I will pray that God will help me listen to my spouse about our relationship.
- I will talk to my children about the importance of intimacy within marriage.
- I will meditate on the relationship between worship and intimacy.
Home Church Questions
- Seriously consider if you need to discuss issues raised in the message with your spouse before attending Home Church.
- Read Song of Solomon 1:1-4.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- How have we allowed the world to have the first and last word about sex?
- What is the message of the world about sex?
- What is the message communicated when we do not talk about marital intimacy?
- What message do we want to communicate to our children about marital intimacy?
- Why is covenant faithfulness essential to complete intimacy?
- Does marital intimacy really parallel intimate worship?
New to Fellowship? // We’re so glad you’re here today // Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card // Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium // We will give you a welcome gift and answer your questions.
Fellowship Kids Test Drive // Would you like to learn more about the impact you can make in the lives of our children? // Join us February 7 or 21 for a “test drive” to see what life is like in Fellowship Kids.
Ash Wednesday Night of Worship // Wednesday, February 10, 6:30 p.m. // Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, a 40 day countdown to Easter // It’s a season in which we remember the tension between resurrection and crucifixion, the juxtaposition of the joy of redemption with its severe cost // Our night of worship will be focused on these themes // Child care provided for 6 years and under.
OCC Year Round // Check out the latest blog post and the 2015 video posted at www.fellowshipconway.org // Any shoeboxes and extra wrapping paper from Christmas? // We can use both, just drop them by the Connection Center // There will be an interest meeting Monday, February 1, 6-8:00 p.m. for anyone thinking about joining the OCC Team // Contact Dawn with any questions 501-269-0434.
Mens 33 Study Volume 33 // Identify the deep idols of your heart and develop a “Battleplan” built on God’s grace // 6 weeks starting Feb. 9th and 10th // Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. or Wednesday at 5:30 a.m.
Wrap Em Up //The Girlfriends Ministry wants your gently used scarves, hats, gloves, and coats (new items are also accepted) // There are many less fortunate people in Faulkner County who are struggling to stay warm this winter // Bring donated items for men, women, and children to the Connection Center January 31st and February 7th // All donations will be given to the Ministry Center for distribution // Let’s come together and help “Wrap Em Up” with warmth and love.
Nicaragua Spring Mission Trip // We are gathering a team for the spring trip, March 11-19, 2016 // If you are interested, contact Ken Wilson at Kwilson@fellowshipconway.org or Tommy Walker, email@example.com.
July 1 – January 17, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 01/10/16 34,941
Giving for 01/17/16 22,830
Year to Date Needed 624,349
Year to Date Giving 653,662
Over (Under) Budget 29,313