The Implications and Applications of the Gospel
For sermon slides, click Here.
Review of Galatians
• History – Paul’s First Missionary Journey
• Problem – Adding Moses to Christ
• Mood – Irate and Intolerant
• Argument – Source • Salvation • Sanctification
Assertion: It was for freedom that Christ has set us free so … (5:1a).
• Positive: Stand firm in the freedom of the gospel (1:1b).
• Negative: Do not allow yourself to be enslaved by legalism (1:1c).
Stand firm and fight hard when the cause is grace.
Alternative: If you live legalistically the consequences are catastrophic (5:2-4).
• Christ’s work will not be beneficial in your relationship to God (5:2b).
• Following any part of the law obligates you to obey the whole law (5:3).
• Trying to be justified by the law alienates you from Christ (5:4a).
• Embracing legalism is falling from grace as a way of relating to God (5:4a).
Legalism in all forms separates us from the work of Christ and grace of God.
Application: The Spirit produces faith, hope, and love (5:5-6).
• The Spirit energizes us to trust and hope for righteousness (5:5).
• Being incorporated into Christ Jesus eliminates external distinctions (5:6a).
• The goal is faith in Christ expressing itself through loving God and others (5:6b).
The Holy Spirit energizes a life of faith, hope, and love.
The Freedom Factor:
frees me to live out my true identity
loving God and loving others.
- Monday: Galatians 3:10-14
- Tuesday: Philippians 1:27-30
- Wednesday: Philippians 3:1-11
- Thursday: Colossians 2:20-23
- Friday: Galatians 5:7-12
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will take some time to think about how I relate to God. Is it based on performance (transactional) or grace (relational)?
- I will commit to respond to grace with growing faith, hope, and love.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 5:1-6.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- What is the difference between relating to God on the basis of performance, and relating to God on the basis of grace? (This is the point of chapters 5-6.)
- Why is legalism a burden? How does it feel to have a set of rules you must keep? How does it feel to know you have to perform well to maintain a relationship?
- Falling from grace does not mean losing your salvation, it means falling from grace as the way you relate to God. Does this make sense?
- How does a doctrine of eternal security lead to a positive relationship with God? What are the parallels in other relationships?
- Faith, hope, and love are woven into Paul’s appeal in verses 5 and 6. Why are these so central in the growth of a Christian?
New to Fellowship? Been checking us out for while and have questions but not sure who to ask? Come learn more about what we believe as a church, why, and how we do ministry the way we do! Join us next Sunday morning, January 14 in the Fellowship Library (located on the 2nd floor) and come learn more about who we are and get answers to any questions you have. Sign up Here stop by the Connection Center.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Home Church Resumes This Week Home Church kicks off for the spring semester this week. If you would like to get connected in a Home Church group, click Here to view available groups or contact Shane Wanamaker.
Apologetics & Evangelism Equipping Class Tuesdays, 6:30–8:15PM, starting this week (January 9). This class is for anyone who would like to learn how to handle everyday conversations that challenge your faith and gain a greater understanding of our post-Christian society, other world views, and how to articulate the gospel more effectively. Child care available. Stop by the Connection Center or sign up online by clicking Here. For questions, contact Charlie Bates..
Financial Peace University Would you like to get your finances in order for 2018? Or want to learn more about biblical stewardship but not sure where to start? Join us Mondays, 6:30–8:15PM beginning January 22. Over 9 weeks, you’ll learn how to beat debt, build wealth, invest for the future, and much more! Click Here to sign up or for more information. Contact Eric Barnes for questions.
Ladies Spring Bible Study Thursdays, 6:30–8:30PM, starting January 25. Join with other Fellowship women as we seek to grow in our faith together and look at what Scripture says about finding victory against the enemy of your heart. Child care available. Stop by the Connection Center or sign up online by clicking Here. For questions, contact Page McKelvy.
Informational Meeting for Germany Missions Trip Tomorrow night, Monday, January 8, at 7PM here at Fellowship. Come hear Brandon and Casey Thurow share about their recent mission trip to Stuttgart, Germany to reach victims of human trafficking and learn how you can get involved in an upcoming mission trip planned for 2018. Contact Casey Thurow for questions or more information.
Year End contribution Statements Your Fellowship contribution statements for 2017 will be mailed by January 31, 2018. Please help us ensure that we have the most recent mailing information on file for you by logging in to your InFellowship account and verify your address prior to January 23. If you have questions on your year end giving or statement, please contact the church office at 501–327–3444.
2018 Go: Czech Mission Trip Applications We believe in what God is doing in the local Czech church we partner with in teaching an evangelistic English camp. GO: Czech is our annual international mission trip to the Czech Republic. We still have space for high school, college, young adults, and are in need of adult leaders to sign up for our 2018 team. Contact Zach Benton for more information. Sign up online by clicking Here.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 12/24/17 $20,241
Giving for Week Ending 12/31/17 $24,962
Year to Date Needed $650,301
Year to Date Giving $646,809
Over (Under) Budget $ (3,492)