Resist the Agitators
For Sermon Slides, click Here.
Question: Where did this false teaching come from? (5:7-9)
• You were growing spiritually (5:7a).
• Someone has drawn you away from living out the truth (5:7b).
• The false teaching did not come from God (5:8).
• False teaching spreads and permutes a community (5:9).
A stunning start is no guarantee of a faithful finish.
Confidence: I know you will get it right and embrace grace (5:10-11).
• You will embrace the truth of grace and grow in the Spirit (5:10a).
• The false teachers will be judged (5:10b).
• I have not ever stopped preaching the grace of the cross (5:11).
• The Power of Wordplay (πείθω): “obey”, “persuade”, “confidence”
The central message of the cross is worthy of our life.
Rhetoric: If you start with circumcision then go all the way (5:12).
• The rhetoric is strong.
• The sarcasm is cutting.
• The point is clear.
The message of grace is worthy of passion.
The Freedom Factor:
involves an ongoing decision
to connect the truth of grace to Christian Living.
- Monday: 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:4
- Tuesday: Psalm 5
- Wednesday: Psalm 17
- Thursday: Psalm 35
- Friday: Galatians 5:13-15
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will spend some time meditating on my current growth as I walk with the Lord. Am I growing like I have in the past? Am I falling more deeply in love with Jesus? What has changed since my initial experience of God’s grace?
- I will determine to “obey the truth” in regards to my struggle with _____________.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 5:7-12.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- Have every one in your group share what their first few months, or years, were like immediately after coming to faith in Christ.
- What factors keep us from growing like we did in that initial time after our conversion? Which ones are understandable, and which ones should be changed?
- What does “running well” look like?
- Paul is pretty harsh with his attitude toward the false teachers. Is this appropriate?
- What issues call for tolerance, and what issues call for judgment?
- In general are you more prone to tolerate or judge?
- What is a specific area where you know you need to get back on track with the Lord?
Would you like to get your finances in order for 2018? Or just wanting to learn more about biblical stewardship but not sure where to start? Join us next Monday, January 22, 6:30–8:15PM. Over 9 weeks, you’ll learn how to beat debt, build wealth, invest for the future, and much more! Sign up online by clicking Here or stop by the Connection Center.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Ladies Spring Bible Study Thursdays, 6:30–8:30PM, starting January 25. Join with other Fellowship women as we seek to grow in our faith together and look at what Scripture says about finding victory against the enemy of your heart. Child care available. Stop by the Connection Center or sign up online by clicking Here. For questions, contact Page McKelvy.
IFO Conversation Club International Friendship Outreach’s Conversation Club is a fantastic way to get involved in leaving missional fingerprints from right here in Conway by engaging with international students in building cross-cultural relationships. Two ways to get involved:
• Conversation Club begins Thursday, January 8, 6PM for 6 weeks at 2nd Baptist Church.
• FBC will be providing a meal for Conversation Club on January 25. Provide a main, side dish, or dessert and bring to the 2nd Baptist Student Center by 5:50PM.
Contact Miseon Seong at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on either of these opportunities.
Downline Discipleship Summit February 2 & 3, Memphis, TN. This conference is a great opportunity for those who want to learn more about discipleship and living out the Great Commission in their homes and community through engaging speakers. For more information, or to sign up at a discounted rate, contact Michael at email@example.com.
Father & Daughter Barn Dance Dads, mark your calendars for Saturday, February 24, 7–9PM. We want you to have a special evening with your daughter to model how dating is supposed to be. Please take this opportunity to take your daughter (5th – 12th grade) to dinner and then join us here at Fellowship for a night of dancing and fun. Cost is $5 per daughter. Deadline to sign up is February 11. Register online by clicking Here. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Year End Contribution Statements Your Fellowship contribution statements for 2017 will be mailed by January 31, 2018. Please help us ensure that we have the most recent mailing information on file for you by logging in to your InFellowship account and verify your address prior to January 23rd. If you have questions on your year end giving or statement, please contact the church office at 501–327–3444.
2018 Go: Czech Mission Trip Applications We believe in what God is doing in the local Czech church we partner with in teaching an evangelistic English camp. GO: Czech is our annual international mission trip to the Czech Republic. We still have space for high school, college, young adults, and are in need of adult leaders to sign up for our 2018 team. Contact Zach Benton for more information. Sign up online by clicking Here.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs 24,808
Giving for Week Ending 12/31/17 24,962
Giving for Week Ending 01/07/18 44,352
Year to Date Needed 675,041
Year to Date Giving 690,661
Over (Under) Budget 15,620
Generations Total 1,584,208
Received to Date 576,558