Taming the Tongue James 3:1-12
Introduction: Loose Lips Sink Ships
The Warning: In the midst of a trial, trying to teach others is a risky because your influence intensifies judgment (3:1).
The Challenge: In the midst of a trial, and always, controlling your speech is a mark of maturity (3:2).
The Danger: Your words have a powerful influence on others; an influence far out of proportion for the size of the tongue (3:3-8).
The Irony: The fact that our words can bless and destroy is out of harmony with God’s design (3:9-12).
Lessons (from Tim Hawks):
• Under control, our tongues are powerful tools.
• Out of control, our tongues are deadly poison.
• Out of whack, our tongues reveal our flawed souls.
Conclusion: Changing Speech Patterns
In the midst of trials control your tongue and keep quiet.
Open your mouth only to praise God, and bless others.
- Monday: Ephesians 4:25-28
- Tuesday: Ephesians 4:29-32
- Wednesday: Matthew 15:10-11
- Thursday: Romans 12:9-21
- Friday: James 3:13-18
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will set aside an hour this week to seriously consider how I am applying God’s Word to my life.
- I will ask someone I trust (more than one if you need it) to help me begin to control my negative speech patterns.
- I commit to praise and bless more than criticize and judge this week (as a start to changing the way I use my tongue).
Mission Arlington The team for Mission Arlington will leave Sunday morning, June 5. Please pray for the impact the students have with everyone they encounter.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Easy Giving for Faithful Stewardship Summer activities are gearing up and we want to help you to be faithful in your stewardship of the resources God has entrusted you through the ability to automate what is important. Consider using one of our electronic options to continue supporting the work and ministry of Fellowship. Stop by the Connection Center or www.fellowshipconway.org/give to sign up. To sign-up for EFT (no fees for you or Fellowship) email Lesta at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fellowship Kids Camp 2016 Kids entering 1st – 5th grade don’t miss out on the fun at Kids Camp 2016. Registration deadline is Friday, June 17. The cost is $25 for one child and $20 for each additional child. Go to http://www.fellowshipconway.org/kids-camp-2016-registration/
Father’s Day Slide Show Send in your pictures of sons, dads, and grandpas for the Father’s Day Slide Show. 1-2 photos per family. Send to email@example.com by Tuesday, June 14.
Mens 33 Bible Study Men’s 33 – A Man and His Work – An inspiring vision of work from God’s bigger perspective. Men’s 33 Volume 4 begins Tuesdays, June 14 – July 19, 6:30-8:30 p.m. and Wednesdays, June 15 – July 20, 5:30-7:30 a.m. Register today at the Connection Center!
Girlfriends Ladies mark your calendars for the Summer Book Club, July 7, 14 and 21 and for the Progressive Dinner, July 26.
Go Store Garage Sale The Go Store (which provides items at a low price for you to pack Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes inexpensively) is gearing up for a garage sale fund raiser at the Ministry Center June 17-18, 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. The Ministry Center will be open to collect any items you would like to donate June 14-16, 9:30 p.m.- 4:00 p.m. Contact Erica Cason at 870-391-1514 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to volunteer.
Fellowship Summer Mission Trips
Pray for the teams and their families this summer.
• Mission Arlington – June 5 – June 11
• Czech – June 27- July 12
• Costa Rica – July 30 – August 7
• Home Church Launch – August 13
• Fellowship Kids Fall Kick Off – August 14
• FSM Midweek Kick Off – August 24
• Girlfriends Fall Bible Study – Sept 13 – Nov. 15
• Men’s 33 Study Vol. 5 – October 4 – November 8
• Nicaragua Fall Mission Trip – October 8-15
• Women of Faith Video Conference- October 21, 22
• OCC Collection Week – November 14-21
July 1 – May 29 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 05/22/16 21,193
Giving for 05/29/16 12,018
Year to Date Needed 1,034,142
Year to Date Giving 1,042,869
Over (Under) Budget 8,727