The Dangers of Networking James 2:1-13
Favoritism is working the crowd, based on externals, for your own benefit.
Face value vs. Grace value
Favoritism is Inconsistent with Authentic Christianity. (1-4)
• The Glory of Jesus (unrecognized)
• External Judgments Only
• Motivation Matters
Favoritism is Inconsistent with God’s Character. (5-7)
• Completely Impartial
• Internal Judgments Only
• Common Sense
Favoritism is Sin, Pure and Simple. (8-13)
• Royal Law (Leviticus 19:18)
• Another Issue of Equality
• Corrective: The Law of Grace over the Law of Face
Attitudes and Actions of Mercy
Recognition of Coming Judgment
In the midst of trials, consistent courtesy and compassion should be the foundation of all relationships.
- Monday: Matthew 7:1-6
- Tuesday: Matthew 7:7-11
- Wednesday: Matthew 7:12-14
- Thursday: Leviticus 19:9-18
- Friday: James 2:14-26
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will analyze how I pick friends. I will consider if I am trying to be blessed or bless others and make appropriate adjustments.
- I will prayerfully consider if I am judging others in how I treat people. I will repent and love well, especially people I may have wronged.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 1:19-27.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- What is the difference between networking and using people?
- How do you feel when you are not being treated as an equal with others?
- In what way are all of us equal before God?
- How do we dishonor poor people in ways that are not described by giving them bad seats in church?
- James 2:10 is translated by the NIV as, “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” Does that seem right?
- James 2:10 is translated by the ESV as, “For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.” Do you like that better?
- How can your Home Church stay connected through the summer?
New to fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Men at Work The men of Fellowship are putting James 1:27 into action the weekend of June 11 as we serve widows and others in need. Friday, from 7-10 PM, we will meet at Fellowship to coordinate jobs, connect teams and have fun. Come back to Fellowship Saturday morning at 8:00 AM for prayer and breakfast, before heading to the work sites. Be a “doer of the word” and contact Andy for more information email@example.com or 501-314-9121.
Conway Downline Discipleship Institute We desire to equip Christ followers with a clear biblical understanding of the Great Commission and release them into their homes, churches and communities to MAKE DISCIPLES as a lifestyle for a lifetime. Get more info or apply for Fall 2016 at DownlineConway.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Family Bash Fellowship Kids and the Girlfriends Ministry are teaming together to bring an opportunity for Fellowship families Saturday, May 21, 10:00 a.m. to noon to come together for games, summer treats, and lots of fun.
Nabholz gift Card Shower TODAY, 2-4:00 PM at the home of Shane and Anna Wanamaker, 916 Heather Circle.
Fellowship Kids Summer 2016 We have several spots still available for serving during the summer session, including full-time and part-time classroom and behind the scenes positions. Join the team! Contact Heather at email@example.com to sign up now.
Easy Giving for Faithful Stewardship Summer activities are gearing up and we want to help you to be faithful in your stewardship and the resources God has entrusted you through the ability to automate what is important. Consider using one of our electronic options to continue supporting the work and ministry of Fellowship. Use the Fellowship app or go to fellowshipconway.org/give for more information and to get started.
Diapers, Wipes & Baby Bottles Today is the last day to drop off your donations to the Connection Center. If you weren’t able to bring your donations today you can take baby bottles to Life Choices (609 Locust) and diapers and wipes to Soul Food Cafe (701 Polk St. )
July 1 – May 8, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 05/01/16 22,221
Giving for 05/08/16 17,237
Year to Date Needed 969,411
Year to Date Giving 986,725
Over (Under) Budget 17,314