Sacrificial Giving (Luke 20:45-21:4)
Warning about Teachers (Luke 20:45-47) The Scribes (Jewish Teachers of the Law)
are arrogant, hypocritical, and condemned.
• The Scribes are arrogant. (20:45-46)
• The Scribes are hypocrites. (20:47a)
• The Scribes will be condemned. (20:47:b) • Conclusion: Don’t listen to the Scribes.
Contrast in Givers (20:1-2) Giving is a responsibility regardless of your financial status.
• Rich people are often very obvious givers. (20:1)
• Poor people do not always get noticed when they give. (20:2)
Conclusion about Sacrifice (21:3-4) The measure of true generosity
is not the size of the gift, but the size of the sacrifice.
• Rich people give out of their wealth. (21:3)
• Poor people sacrifice out of their need. (21:4)
Jesus does not highlight how much you know or give but how much you sacrifice.
- Monday: 2 Corinthians 8:1-19
- Tuesday: 2 Corinthians 8:10-15
- Wednesday: 2 Corinthians 8:16-24
- Thursday: 2 Corinthians 9:1-15
- Friday: Luke 21:5-38
Next Steps from Today’s message
- I will take my own spiritual growth seriously and become more of a student of the Word of God.
- I will settle the issue of worship and stewardship in my life this week.
- I will automate the important this summer and ensure my stewardship.
Home church questions
- Read the Passage.
- Review the Message.
- What are some good principles of Bible study?
- What are some great ways to stay in the Word of God regularly?
- What teaching have you evaluated, and discovered biblical truth for yourself?
- What are some excellent Bible study tools you use?
- What are some best practices related to stewardship, and giving to God’s work?
- Are you aware of Fellowship’s current financial situation? What conclusions can you draw about that information?
- Should all of your giving go to the church? What percentage should be reserved for the church?
- Why is giving regularly important?
- What keeps us from being generous givers?
FELLOWSHIP KIDS TEST DRIVE // Thank you to everyone who signed up to serve in Fellowship Kids // We still have hall monitor positions available during both services // These are the people who keep our ministry running smoothly // Contact email@example.com.
CONWAY DOWNLINE INSTITUTE // It is our desire to equip Christ followers with a clear biblical understanding of the Great Commission and release them into their homes, church, and community to MAKE DISCIPLES as a lifestyle for a lifetime // Next year’s Downline Institute will run mid-August through mid-May // Get more info, or register at DownlineConway.com
THE GIFT FOR ALL WOMEN // Join Girlfriends ministry as we honor and help women by giving back to our community through Life Choices and the Ministry Center // If you are able to help with the needs listed below, please bring your items to the Connection Center by May 24th.
LIFE CHOICES (Conway’s local pregnancy resource center) “Change for Life” campaign – Pick up a baby bottle and fill it up with change, bills, or checks to support Life Choices.
MINISTRY CENTER (one stop resource for people in need) Diapers and feminine hygiene products are needed.
WOMEN’S SUMMER BIBLE STUDY // “Sweeter Than Chocolate” // June 9 – July 14, 7-8:30 p.m. // 6 week study teaches the big picture of the Bible using God’s summary in Hebrews 11 // Sign up at the Connection Center.
MEN’S 33 BIBLE STUDY // Wednesdays, 5:30 a.m. or 8:00 p.m. beginning June 17.
FATHER’S DAY SLIDE SHOW // Send in your best pictures of sons, dads, and grandpas for the Father’s Day Slide Show // 1-2 photos per family // Send firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, June 11.
AUTOMATE THE IMPORTANT // Will you try automating your giving to the ministry of Fellowship for 90 days this summer? // Go to fellowshipconway.org/important.
July 1 – May 10, 2015
Weekly Budget Needs $19,538
Giving for 05/03/15 21,124
Giving for 05/10/15 18,924
Year to Date Needed 879,210
Year to Date Giving 970,705
Over (Under) Budget 91,495