Doing Delivers and Demonstrates Faith James 2:14-26 (Part #1)
Luther’s Problem with James – “a right strawy epistle”
A Little Bit of Important Theology
• Salvation is completely a work of God (Ephesians 1:3-13; Titus 3:4-6)
• Salvation is specifically a work of Christ (1 Peter 1:18-19)
• Salvation is a free gift from God
• Salvation is by the grace of God (Ephesians 2:8)
• Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:21-26)
• Salvation is applied by the work of the Spirit (Titus 3:4-6)
• Salvation is not earned by human effort (Ephesians 2:9)
• Salvation naturally leads to good works (Ephesians 2:10)
A Few Significant Word Studies – Determining “Semantic Range”
• “saving faith”
• trusting God
• accurate Doctrine
• attempts to gain God’s favor
• service to God
• deliverance from danger
• salvation from eternity in hell
• declared righteous before God
• declared righteous before men
Understanding James 2:14-26 – Interpreting Meaning in Context
In the midst of trials faith alone will not save you. Works must go with faith to be delivered,
resulting in your justification before men.
- Monday: Ephesians 1:3-14
- Tuesday: Ephesians 2:1-10
- Wednesday: 1 Peter 1:3-9
- Thursday: 1 Peter 1:10-16
- Friday: James 2:14-26
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will praise God for salvation provided by His grace, accomplished by Christ’s death, and applied by the Holy Spirit.
- I will commit to encounter trials with joy, endurance, and obedience.
Home Church Questions
- Read James 2:14-26.
- Discuss the message. Is there anything that stood out as important, new, challenging, or helpful?
- Discuss the simplicity of the gospel as expressed in Ephesians 2:8-10.
- What are the challenges to understanding James 2:14-26 in context?
- Discuss the issues of conflict between Paul and James. Can they be harmonized if they are both talking about the same topic?
- What is another way to understand James 2:14-26 without allowing it to contradict the simple message of salvation by grace through faith?
- If the interpretation suggested in the message is accurate, how might this be applied in a real life example?
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship.
Easy Giving for Faithful Stewardship Summer activities are gearing up and we want to help you to be faithful in your stewardship of the resources God has entrusted you through the ability to automate what is important. Consider using one of our electronic options to continue supporting the work and ministry of Fellowship. Signing up for EFT is as easy as filling out the card in your seat and placing it in the offering basket.
Father’s Day Slide Show Send in your pictures of sons, dads, and grandpas for the Father’s Day Slide Show. 1-2 photos per family. Send to email@example.com by Tuesday, June 14.
Mens 33 Bible Study Men’s 33 – A Man and His Work – Aninspiring vision of work from God’s bigger perspective. Men’s 33 Volume 4 begins Tuesdays, June 14 – July 19, 6:30-8:30 p.m. and Wednesdays, June 15 – July 20, 5:30-7:30 a.m.
Girlfriends Ladies mark your calendars for the Summer Book Club, July 7, 14 and 21 and for the Progressive Dinner, July 26.
Welcome to the Fellowship Team Emily Allison We are excited to announce Emily Allison is joining our Fellowship staff team. Emily will be joining the Fellowship staff June 13, taking over the Administrative Assistant role that deals with a variety of areas including finances. We are very excited to see how God will use her!
Conway Downline Discipleship Institute We desire to equip Christ followers with a clear biblical understanding of the Great Commission and release them into their homes, churches and communities to MAKE DISCIPLES as a lifestyle for a lifetime. Get more info or apply for Fall 2016 at DownlineConway.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Men at Work The men of Fellowship are putting James 1:27 into action the weekend of June 11 as we serve widows and others in need. Friday, from 7-10 PM, we will meet at Fellowship to coordinate jobs, connect teams and have fun. Come back to Fellowship Saturday morning at 8:00 AM for prayer and breakfast, before heading to the work sites. Be a “doer of the word” and contact Andy for more information email@example.com or 501-314-9121.
July 1 – May 15, 2016
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 05/08/16 17,237
Giving for 05/15/16 20,933
Year to Date Needed 990,988
Year to Date Giving 1,007,658
Over (Under) Budget 16,670