No Turning Back
The Implications of the Gospel of Grace
For Sermon Slides, click here.
The Problem: Returning to law is a return to slavery and nullifies Paul’s ministry (4:8-11)
• Before embracing the true gospel, we’re slaves (8).
• Knowing God and being known by Him is incompatible with slavery to the law (9).
• Evidence of their inconceivable slavery is observance of the Jewish Calendar (10).
• Paul is concerned that his ministry has been futile (11).
Paul’s Personal Plea: Live free and maintain relationship (4:12-16)
• Be like Paul—free from the law and in relationship (12).
• Remember your first encounter with the Gospel (13-15).
• Hear the truth spoken in love from friends (16).
Paul’s Pure Purpose: The motives of preachers and teachers are critical (4:17-20)
• The Judaizers’ motives are self-serving (17).
• Passion is appropriate with the right purpose (18).
• Paul’s intense concern comes from other-centered motives (19-20).
The Gospel Truth:
The motives of ministry
must be pure as well as passionate,
so evaluate preachers well.
- Monday: Jude 1-7
- Tuesday: Jude 8-11
- Wednesday: Jude 12-16
- Thursday: Jude 17-25
- Friday: Galatians 4:21-31
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will contact someone who has invested in me spiritually and tell them how much I appreciate them.
- I will think clearly about my initial reception of the gospel and compare it to my current receptivity to truth.
- I will commit to find and listen to friends who will speak the truth in love about my life.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 4:8-20.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- What were you first few months as a believer like? What characteristics are things you wish were still true?
- How can you maintain some of the best elements of your early days being a believer?
- How does it feel to be “known by God”?
- How do we distinguish between an “interpretation” of Scripture we might disagree with and a “false teaching”?
- How do you respond to people who tell you the truth? What is your initial response? What is your more long term response?
- Do you address important issues with people ( I am trying to avoid using the word confrontation)? How can you make it more likely that they will respond well? Is this kind of thing important?
- Are you fully invested (labor pains) in the spiritual growth of anyone right now?
- What does it mean that Christ is being formed in you?
We’re excited to see progress in starting dirt work for the Generations campaign and for the expansion of space for our growing kids ministries and families. As the work crews continue to move dirt to prepare for the foundation of the building, we’re continuing to move forward in building the foundation for future generations to come. If you haven’t had a chance to join the movement of what God is doing through our body in this endeavor, we invite you to consider making a commitment to give financially and pray as we trust God in this together. You can make a commitment or give online at fellowshipconway.org/
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Operation Christmas Child Thank you to all who packed and served during the OCC Collection Week! If by chance you have not brought your boxes in, please bring them in after church today. We are open until 6PM this evening and then 9AM–noon on Monday. We will not be able to receive boxes after that time! If you would be available to help load additional cartons on Monday, we could use the extra hands. Please continue to pray for the logistics of sending the boxes, as well as the children who will receive them. We will have a celebration on December 10 during both services to reveal how many boxes were collected and to share some of our God moments!
Parents Night Out Christmas is fast approaching and that means Parents Night Out here at Fellowship! Mark your calendar now for Friday, December 8, 6–8:30PM. This is a great opportunity for you to take some time to relax, reconnect, and enjoy your Friday evening while we have fun with your kids (birth-4th grade). RSVP to Heather Mckinney by Friday, Dec. 1 and contact Heather for questions or more info.
FSM Family Youth and Christmas Dinner Mark your calendar for Wednesday, December 13, 6-8PM. FSM students and their families look forward to this annual opportunity to gather together to share a dinner and celebrate what God has done over the past year. For questions or more information, contact Shane Wanamaker.
IFO Christmas Party at Fellowship International Friendship Outreach has several upcoming opportunities to get involved in leaving mission fingerprints from right here in our own neighborhoods of Conway. Provide a main dish, side, dessert, or gift ($7-$10) for the IFO Christmas Party here at Fellowship on December 1. Attend the Christmas party and come ready to build relationships with students. And host an international student over the winter break. Contact Miseon Seong at email@example.com, 501-205-9207 for more info.
One Cry Prayer Gathering Tuesday, December 5, believers and area churches from across Conway will be gathering together at True Holiness Saints Center (198 East Hwy. 286) to pray for God to move in our community, nation, and across the world.
Parents Night Out Christmas is fast approaching and that means Parents Night Out here at Fellowship. Mark your calendar now for Friday, December 8, 6-8:30PM. This is a great opportunity for you to take some time to relax, reconnect, and enjoy your Friday evening while we have fun with your kids (birth-4th grade) for the night. RSVP to Heather Mckinney by Friday, December 1 and contact Heather for questions or more info.
Stay Connected with Fellowship Throughout the Week Fellowship sends out a weekly email with information and details on all that God is doing through our church, ministries, and community, as well as equipping resources you can use throughout the week. Fill out a Connection Card or click Here to sign up.
Prayer at Fellowship We believe prayer changes things, and we desire to come alongside you throughout the week to pray with and for you. You can use the Connection Card, the Fellowship App, or click Here to submit a prayer request at anytime. Our staff, elders, and prayer team, made up of people whose SHAPE is to pray for others, would love to know how we can pray for you.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 11/05/17 $31,759
Giving for Week Ending 11/12/17 $19,479
Year to Date Needed $477,123
Year to Date Giving $484,334
Over (Under) Budget $7,211