The Purpose of the Law
The Path to the Gospel of Grace
For Sermon slides, check back Here.
Introduction: Martin Luther and John Calvin’s view on the purpose of the law.
The Function of the Law: The law reveals our need for grace in Christ
• The law exposes sin (19a).
• The law was critical until Christ (19b).
• The law was an intermediated step (20).
The Compatibility of the Law: The law works with grace to point our need for faith in Christ (3:21-22)
• The law cannot bring life and righteousness (21).
• The law imprisons everyone as sinners (22a).
• Life and righteousness come through faith in Christ (22b).
The Limits of the Law: The law remained until the gospel of faith in Christ
• Before faith, the law imprisoned everyone (23).
• The law was our guardian guiding us until Christ came (24).
• Because the message of faith in Christ is clear, the law is obsolete (25).
The Gospel Truth:
The law had a temporary and transitional purpose,
exposing our sin and condemnation,
until the message of faith in Christ was made clear.
- Monday: Exodus 20:1-17
- Tuesday: Romans 2:17-24
- Wednesday: Romans 2:25-29
- Thursday: Romans 5:18-21
- Friday: Galatians 3:26-4:7
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will turn away from legalistic attempts to please God and embrace grace.
- I will share the freeing message of grace through faith in Jesus with one person this week.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 3:19-25.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- What is legalism? Did you grow up in a legalistic setting?
- Which purpose of the law discussed in the message makes most sense to you?
- Which one still seems unclear?
- If you are performance driven, how do you overcome legalism?
- How does the law function within the promises of God? Does it function that way with you?
- If the law is not a standard to live by, then what motivates holy living?
Join us here at Fellowship this coming Tuesday morning at 6AM as we gather alongside believers from churches across Conway. We will spend focused time praying together for global missions, asking God to move among the nations in drawing all peoples into His Great Story.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Family Worship Sunday Today is our Family Worship Sunday in which we have the chance to come together to model our faith for our children as we worship, pray, and partake of communion as believers of all ages.
Upcoming Girlfriends Gathering Ladies, if you’ve been looking to connect with other women here at Fellowship, we invite you to join us this coming Thursday evening, Nov. 9, 6:30–8:30PM, as we discuss the topic of how to process grief and sorrow in our walk with the Lord and hear from some encouraging speakers. Gathering will be held at the home of Becke Stuart (3145 Windsong Ln.). Child care by RSVP, email Shann@conwaycorp.net. We hope to see you there!
FSM Middle School Retreat Coming up November 17–19, Fellowship Student Ministries’ Middle School Fall Retreat offers students (5th-8th grade) the chance to get away and connect relationally with God and each other in an intentional setting as we focus on discipleship and what it means to follow Jesus in our everyday life. Cost for the weekend is $85. Sign up by clicking Here.
Operation Christmas Child Reminders and Notes >National Collection Week is November 13–20. >Please sign up THIS WEEK if you would like to work at the drop off. We especially need folks to help provide lunch. >FBC can start bringing packed shoeboxes on November 12. >We have plenty of wrapped shoeboxes, please share them with your family, friends and co-workers. >The memorial table to pack a box in memory of Susie Courtway is now set up in the atrium. >Dr. Wiedower has donated lots of toothbrushes for FBC shoeboxes and they are available in the atrium as well if you would like some for your boxes. Thanks, Dr. Wiedower!
Conway Community Thanksgiving Service Gather with believers from churches and ministries all across Conway next Sunday night, November 12, 6–7PM, as we worship, pray, fellowship, and give thanks for all that God is doing in and through our city. Service will be held at True Holiness Saints Center (198 E. Hwy. 286, Conway).
Prayer at Fellowship We believe prayer changes things, and we desire to come alongside you throughout the week to pray with and for you. You can use the Connection Card, the Fellowship App, or click Here to submit a prayer request at anytime. Our staff, elders, and prayer team, made up of people whose SHAPE is to pray for others, would love to know how we can pray for you.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 10/22/17 $17,007
Giving for Week Ending 10/29/17 $24,619
Year to Date Needed $427,644
Year to Date Giving $433,197
Over (Under) Budget $5,553