Justification by Faith
Paul’s Priority in the Gospel of Grace
For sermon slides, click Here.
Introduction: Justification: A Brief Theology of Salvation
Justification: The Truth of the Gospel
Jews and Gentiles are justified by faith in Christ (2:15-16).
• Jews and Gentiles are equally condemned (2:15).
• Justification comes through faith in Jesus Christ (2:16a).
• Obedience to the law can not justify (2:16b).
Sanctification: The Application of the Gospel
Union with Christ results in righteous living (2:17-21).
• Grace does not naturally lead to sinful behavior (2:17).
• Reestablishing the law is not the solution (2:18).
• The solution is death to the law standard and alive to relationship to God (2:19).
• Union with Christ allows Christ to live through me (2:20).
• Grace, not law, leads to righteousness (2:21).
The Gospel Truth:
The grace of God unites us to Christ through faith,
justifies us before God,
and allows Christ to live in me.
- Monday: Ephesians 2:1-10
- Tuesday: Romans 3:21-31
- Wednesday: Romans 5:1-11
- Thursday: Ephesians 1:1-14
- Friday: Galatians 3:1-5
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will commit to being able to make a clear and simple presentation of the gospel.
- I will memorize Galatians 2:20.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 2:15-21.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- As a group, come up with the essential elements needed to explain the gospel.
- Now think about what you came up with and remove any words or phrases that would only be understandable to someone who already knows the gospel (i.e. sin, saved, justified). How can you keep the essential elements without using “Christianese”?
- Grace is essential for salvation. What role does grace play in sanctification?
- Faith is essential for salvation. What role does faith play in sanctification?
- Explain the details of Galatians 2:20. What does it mean to be “crucified with Christ”? What does it mean to “live by faith in the Son of God”?
- Practice memorizing as a group.
Today is the last day to register! Join other women from Fellowship for a weekend of rest, recreation, and worship at the 4-H Conference Center just outside Little Rock. The weekend will consist of getting to know each other around a campfire, hearing women from our body speak about the theme of being “Fully Alive”, and eating delicious cinnamon rolls, as well as enjoying fun recreational activities and time to relax. Cost is $102 for a triple occupancy room. Sign up Here or stop by the Connection Center. Contact Lesta for questions or more information.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Generations Commitment Card Today is Commitment Sunday, when we are asking the entire Fellowship family to join with us in building for a future of faith. Our desire is for everyone who calls Fellowship home to respond with a commitment to be involved and we invite you to use the commitment card on your seat to indicate either your financial commitment or your willingness to join us in prayer for this vision of expanded discipleship of current and future generations. This has been an exciting season for Fellowship and we’re so encouraged and grateful for how our body has come together in this this vision to equip future generations. Need more info? Click here for more information and resources on Fellowship’s vision behind our Generations campaign.
Fall Pumpkin Patch Parents, we invite you to bring your family and join us at Shaefers Pumpkin Patch, Saturday, October 21, at 10:45AM, for hay rides, picking pumpkins, and fun in the barnyard animal petting area. Pack a picnic lunch, or buy lunch from the concession stand and come have a great time hanging out as a Fellowship family. Contact Heather McKinney for questions or more information.
One Cry Prayer Gathering Join with believers from all across Conway this coming Tuesday morning, October 3, at 6AM, as we gather as one unified body to pray for God to move in our churches, communities, and nation. This month’s prayer emphasis is on racial unity. Gathering will be held at 2nd Baptist Church.
The GO Store Silent Auction Donations The GO Store is seeking donations of items for a silent auction to support the grand opening of their new location and thrift store. Items for the auction can be dropped off at their new location (807 Court St.) from 10AM-2PM Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 9AM-12PM. The Fellowship body is also invited to attend the Silent Auction on October 12, 6–8PM. Contact Erica Cason for questions or more info on how to support this incredible ministry.
OCC Student Pack Fellowship Student Ministries will be taking part in gospel opportunities by packing Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes on Wednesday, October 25, 6–8PM. All students will pack their own boxes and be a part of Fellowship’s legacy mission fingerprints with OCC.
Welcome Michael Harrison to the Fellowship Team Michael Harrison will be joining Fellowship’s staff as our Discipleship & Outreach Pastor. Michael and his family have been part of our body for several years and come to us with a huge heart to connect and engage our body’s growing discipleship and outreach ministries throughout our community. Please join us in welcoming Michael in this new role.
Click Here to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 09/17/17 $13,495
Giving for Week Ending 09/24/17 $36,975
Year to Date Needed $303,945
Year to Date Giving $317,234
Over (Under) Budget $13,289