Theodicy – The Problems of Good and Evil
Introduction: The Case of Job
The Question Stated If God is all good and all powerful, why doesn’t He stop all evil?
Metaphysical Answer – Privation
God is not responsible for evil because it is not a thing, it is the lack of a thing.
Moral Answer – Free Will
God gave mankind freedom, and man introduced evil into the world.
Teleological Answer – Best Way
This is not the best of all possible worlds, it is the best way to the best of all possible worlds. God is working out all things for His glory and our good.
Pastoral Answer – Loving Father
Ultimately God will set all things right. In the meantime, God uses pain in our lives to speak more clearly to us and to display His grace.
God is not responsible for evil,
but He does use evil and will ultimately defeat
evil because He is wise and holy.
- Monday: Job 1:1-22
- Tuesday: Job 2:1-13
- Wednesday: Job 38:1-41
- Thursday: Job 39:1-30
- Friday: Job 40:8-41:34
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- Be – I will courageously comfort someone this week.
- Multiply – I will try to explain some element of this message to someone who did not hear it.
- Go – I will pay attention to reports of suffering in the world I hear about this week, and pray for those involved. If I am able, I will lend a helping hand.
Home Church Questions
- Does the story of Job comfort you or trouble you? Why?
- Is the answer that “Evil is not a thing,” which has a long philosophical history, satisfying? What is helpful? Where does it fall short?
- What do you think about the “free will” of man? Is it an illusion? Is it real? Does it contradict the sovereignty of God? Will we ever fully understand it?
- What would we conclude if this world were the best world?
- How does this world provide a “best path” to a perfect world?
- How comforting is it to know that ultimately God will set everything right?
- How has God used pain in your life to get your attention or draw you closer to Him?
- How can we offer comfort to someone who is going through suffering? Why is that so hard?
New to Fellowship? // We’re so glad you’re here today // Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card // Please fill it out and bring to the Connection Center in the atrium // We will give you a welcome gift and answer your questions.
OCC Night of Worship // Operation Christmas Child is one of the biggest endeavors we undertake as a church family // Please join us Wednesday, October 21, 6:30 p.m. for an evening of worship and prayer for OCC // Child care for 6 years and under by RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 19.
Military Service Project // Want to bless a service member in the U.S. armed forces? // Purchase (or pick one up from the Connection Center) a Thanksgiving, Christmas, and/or Thank You card, record your appreciation, a scripture, words of encouragement, and drop it off at the Connection Center // Cards will be mailed to soldiers on a Naval air carrier in the Middle East and Ft. Benning, Georgia, in time for the holidays // Cards due back by Oct 25th.
Darrell Bock // Truth Matters Seminar // Saturday, November 7, 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. // Do you ever feel you lack confidence to engage others in what you believe? // Join us for an afternoon with Darrell Bock, author of “Truth Matters” and frequenter of Ken’s Power Point slides as he delves into Apologetics // RSVP for the event and child care at: http://www.fellowshipconway.org/bock/
The Legacy Journey Class // Mondays at 6:30 p.m. starting Nov 2 // The Legacy Journey by Dave Ramsey is an all-new, seven-week, biblically-based class that teaches you how to truly live and leave a legacy for generations to come // This class will lead you deeper into investing, basic estate planning, purposeful living, safeguarding your legacy, and discovering the keys to generational wealth and true generosity // For more info and to register go to www.fellowshipconway.org/legacy-journey
OCC Collection Week // November 15 – November 23 // Boxes and volunteers needed // More information to come!
The GO Store // Located in the Ministry Center (766 Harkrider), has tons of discount merchandise // The next time it will be open is Thursday, Oct. 22, 11:-2:00, Friday, Oct. 23, 6-8:00, Saturday, Oct. 24, 10-2:00, Sunday, Oct. 25, 1-3:00 // For full listing of days and hours go to Facebook.com/OCCgostore // Contact Erica Cason at email@example.com if you would like to set up a time to have a packing party with your Home Church, sports team, etc.
July 1 – October 11, 2015
Weekly Budget Needs $21,577
Giving for 10/04/15 24,836
Giving for 10/11/15 19,403
Year to Date Needed 322,291
Year to Date Giving 331,078
Over (Under) Budget 8,787