Hagar and Ishmael or Sarah and Isaac
The Incompatibility of Flesh and Faith
For Sermon Slides, click here.
Introduction: A Brief Introduction to Hermeneutics
An Incompatibility Story: Ishmael and Isaac (Genesis 21:1-14)
God’s gracious provision calls for joyful obedience (21:1-7).
God’s gracious provision demands the removal of any thereat (21:8-14).
When God provides the fulfillment of His promise—with it’s joy and blessing—the people of God must remove anything that presents a threat to His work.
An Incompatibility Analogy: Grace and Law (Galatians 4:21-31)
Hagar: Slave Woman Sarah: Free Woman
Mosaic Covenant Abrahamic Covenant
Earthly Jerusalem Heavenly Jerusalem
Children of the Slave Woman Children of the Free Woman
The Gospel Truth:
Performance and promise simply do not mix,
so don’t mix them.
- Monday: Galatians 5:13-18
- Tuesday: Galatians 5:19-21
- Wednesday: Galatians 5:22-26
- Thursday: Romans 7:1-6
- Friday: Genesis 38
Next Steps from Today’s Message
- I will decisively stop relating to God on the basis of my performance.
- I will relate to God as a loving son or daughter.
- I will talk with a close friend about how I might “get rid” of any threat to my spiritual growth.
Home Church Questions
- Read Galatians 4:21-31.
- Is there anything that was new, memorable, or meaningful from this week’s message?
- Is there an immediate application you know you need to make?
- Talk for a moment about how we interpret the Bible. Why is it so important to find the original meaning as a basis for application?
- What does it mean to have one meaning but many applications?
- How to we often relate to God on the basis of performance?
- What do the efforts of the “flesh” look like?
- How can we relate to God on the basis of promise?
- What is something that is a threat to your spiritual growth?
- What would it look like to “cast out the threat” to your spiritual growth?
- Provide a main, side, or dessert.
- Attend the dinner, enjoy great food while connecting with students.
- Host an international student during the winter break (beginning December 16) or invite them into your home for Christmas. Many international students never get to spend time in an American home while they are here.
New to Fellowship? We’re so glad you’re here today. Inside the bulletin you will find a Connection Card. Please fill it out and bring it to the Connection Center in the atrium where you will receive a welcome gift, as well as answers to any questions you may have about the different ministries here at Fellowship. You can also send us a message at any time by clicking Here. One of our staff would love to connect with you to help with any questions you have.
Angel Tree Every year, our Girlfriends Ministry assists local families and ministries through the Fellowship Angel Tree. This year, families from New Directions, The Conway Ministry Center, Conway Fire Department’s Boot Drive (benefiting families of Conway Public Schools). Ornaments with requested items will be available December 3–17 in the atrium. Please keep this opportunity on your radar as we prepare for how the Lord will use us generously this season.
Parents Night Out Friday, December 8, 6–8:30PM. Parents, let us take your kids (birth-4th grade) for the evening while you take some time to relax, reconnect, and enjoy your Friday evening. RSVP to Heather Mckinney by Friday, December 1 and contact Heather for questions or more info.
One Cry Prayer gathering Tuesday, December 5, believers and area churches from across Conway will be gathering together at True Holiness Saints Center (198 East Hwy. 286) to pray for God to move in our community, nation, and across the world.
FSM Family Youth and Christmas Dinner Mark your calendar for Wednesday, December 13, 6–8PM. FSM students and their families look forward to this annual opportunity to gather together to share a dinner and celebrate what God has done over the past year. For questions or more information, contact Shane Wanamaker.
Perspectives on the World Christian Movement Experience God’s heart for the nations and encounter His plan through the World Christian Movement. This 15-week class will help you discover practical and strategic opportunities to leverage your passions, training, and expertise for His glory. Tuesday nights, 6 – 9PM beginning January 15. Click Here or visit class.perspectives.org to sign up and for more information.
Generations We’re excited to see progress in starting dirt work for the Generations campaign and for the expansion of space for our growing kids ministries and families! If you haven’t had a chance to join what God is doing through our body in this endeavor, we invite you to consider making a commitment to give financially and pray as we trust God in this together. Click Here or visit fellowshipconway.org/generations to learn more about the vision of what God is calling us to or to make a commitment.
Fellowship 101 New to Fellowship or been checking us out for while? We love sharing the how and why behind what we do and believe! Join us Sunday, January 14 and come learn more about who we are and get answers to any questions. Click Here to sign up.
Click Here if you would like to give a gift.
Weekly Budget Needs $24,808
Giving for Week Ending 11/12/17 $19,479
Giving for Week Ending 11/19/17 $28,924
Year to Date Needed $501,863
Year to Date Giving $513,258
Over (Under) Budget $11,395