Joshua’s Final Encouragement
“Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
This week we will listen in as Joshua shares his final words of encouragement to Israel. Joshua is near the end of his life, and like Moses, he addresses the people to point them to God. They had a choice to make: choose to follow God or choose to follow the false gods. They couldn’t do both.
As Joshua prepared for his own death, he left a legacy of obedience to God. After Jesus’ death and resurrection, He appeared to the disciples and left them with a legacy: to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything Jesus commanded. (Matthew 28:19-20)
Help your children see that they have the same choice to make today. They may not be tempted to worship little statues, but they can worship plenty of other things besides God.
KEY PASSAGE: Joshua 1:9
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God.
BIBLE STORY: JOSHUA’S FINAL ENCOURAGEMENT
- When Joshua was old, he gathered Israel together to talk with them.
- Joshua reminded the people of how good and faithful God is.
- Joshua told the people to obey and worship God.
- Israelites said they would worship and love God.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How can we talk with someone about Jesus? What should we remember to talk about?
- What are some things we are tempted to love more than we love God?
- Review the Bible stories learned to this point. Point out examples of God’s goodness. Worship together as a family.
- Go further: Send an e-mail or letter of encouragement to an international missionary.
NEXT WEEK “The First Judges” (Judges 3:7-31)