The First Judges
“For the Lord is our Judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king. He will save us.” Isaiah 33:22
This week we begin studying the Old Testament judges. After Joshua died, the people were left without a leader and began to sin against God. God disciplined them and when the people cried out for deliverance, God sent a leader called a judge to rescue them. Later, when that judge died, the people sinned again and the pattern was repeated.
The judges saved the people from the consequences of their sin, but not the cause of it. God’s plan was to one day send a true Deliverer—Jesus, His own Son—to be the King of His people. Jesus saves people from sin forever.
Help your kids see that all of the judges were imperfect humans and they could not rescue God’s people from the cause of their sin, just the consequences.
KEY PASSAGE: Isaiah 33:22
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom does God use in His plan? God uses people in His plan.
BIBLE STORY: THE FIRST JUDGES
- The Israelites began to disobey God after Joshua died.
- God let Israel’s enemies defeat them and rule over them.
- God sent a judge when the Israelites cried out to Him for help.
- Othniel, Ehud, and Shamgar were the rst judges.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What sins do you do over and over again? Ask God for help.
- Who are the leaders has God put in our lives? How can we follow them?
- Play a game of “Follow- the-Leader” through your neighborhood.
- Go further: Write, decorate, and send thank-you cards to leaders whom God has placed in your life. Consider including a gift card as well.
NEXT WEEK “Deborah and Barak” (Judges 4–5)