The Promised Land and Jericho
Joshua 2-4; 6
“Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
Our journey through the Old Testament continues this week with Israel crossing the Jordan River and entering into the promised land at last. Their first battle is against the city of Jericho. God fought for His people and gave the city to them. It was clear from the beginning that it was God’s power, not Israel’s strength, that would give them the land.
Just as the Lord defeated Jericho for the Israelites, Jesus defeats His enemies and leads believers into the promised land of eternity.
Help your kids connect how God defeated Israel’s enemies with how Jesus defeated our greatest enemy: sin.
KEY PASSAGE: Joshua 1:9
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God.
BIBLE STORY: THE PROMISED LAND AND JERICHO
- Joshua sent two Israelite spies into Jericho.
- Rahab protected the spies. The spies promised to protect Rahab and her family.
- The Israelites crossed the Jordan on dry ground.
- The Israelites marched around Jericho and the walls fell down.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What do you think it would have been like to march around Jericho in the Israelite army?
- How can we see God’s power and glory around us?
- Make a “city wall” with pillows or boxes, march around it, and knock it down. Talk about how God knocked down Jericho’s walls.
- Go further: Invite another family to walk laps around a local track with you to exercise and build relationships.
NEXT WEEK “Achan’s Sin and the Defeat of Ai” (Joshua 7-8)