God’s Warning to Seven Churches
The one seated on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new.” Revelation 21:5
The Book of Revelation opens with John’s description of a vision. In the vision, Jesus gave John messages for seven local churches. Jesus told John to write these messages on a scroll and send them to the churches.
In most cases, Jesus commended the church for their good work, warned them about the areas in which they needed correction, and urged them to return to Him. Among other things, He warned the churches not to forget their love of the Lord. He encouraged them not to be afraid of being tested. He urged those who were surrounded by evil to not deny their faith. Each time, Jesus promised to reward those who remain faithful to Him.
The church is made up of people who have trusted in Jesus, who are committed to one another, and who meet together to worship Jesus and share the gospel. Jesus loves the church as His bride. (See Eph. 5:25-27; Rev. 19:7-9.) Jesus’ message called the churches to turn away from their sin and remain faithful to Him. The Lord is slow to anger (Ex. 34-6-7) and patient, wanting everyone to repent (2 Pet. 3:9).
Jesus warned specific churches in Asia Minor (modern-day Turkey), but the problems they faced can still be found in churches today. Help kids understand some of the problems the early churches faced: They did not love like they should, they believed false teaching and did wrong things, and they were lukewarm—useless to the cause of Christ.
Help your children understand that we can pray for our churches to be faithful, effective instruments in spreading the gospel. We should love the church because Jesus loves the church. Through the church, Jesus helps believers work together to do God’s plan. Finally, Jesus warned believers to stay alert because He will come like a thief when no one is expecting Him. Believers—then and now—must always be ready!
Jesus loves the church. His message to seven local churches called them to turn away from their sin and remain faithful to Him. We can learn from those churches. Through the church, Jesus helps believers work together to do God’s plan.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Revelation 21:5
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What will happen when Jesus comes back? Jesus will make all things new.
BIBLE STORY: GOD’S WARNING TO SEVEN CHURCHES
- Jesus sent messages to the seven churches.
- Jesus had a different message for each church.
- Jesus warned the churches to turn away from their sin and follow Him.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What were some of Jesus’ messages for the churches? What were they doing well? What were they doing wrong? What did they need to do?
- How can these messages to the churches help us today?
- How does Jesus work through the church to help believers work together to do God’s plan?
- Drive through your community and pray. Stop at various churches and pray for them to be faithful to spread the gospel.