Jesus Raised Lazarus
John 11:1-7, 17-44
“My soul, bless the Lord… He forgives all your iniquity; He heals all your diseases.” Psalm 103:2-3
Jesus received word that His friend Lazarus was sick. Lazarus was the brother of Mary and Martha. They lived in the town of Bethany, which was about two miles away from Jerusalem. Mary and Martha sent a message to Jesus, likely expecting Him to come right away.
Jesus loved Mary, Martha, and Lazarus; yet He stayed where He was, and Lazarus died. Why would Jesus do such a thing? Jesus said that Lazarus’ sickness was “for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it” (John 11:4). He said that He was glad He wasn’t there when Lazarus died so that the disciples may believe. (John 11:15) Jesus’ timing is always perfect, and He acts or doesn’t act so that God will be glorified.
By the time Jesus arrived in Bethany, Lazarus had been in the tomb for four days. Martha went to meet Jesus. She said to Him, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother wouldn’t have died.” Jesus had shown His power to heal people who were sick. Even still, she believed He could do a miracle.
Jesus told Martha, “I am the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25). Jesus is the source of life—eternal life that cannot be destroyed by death. Believers do not need to fear death because physical death is not the end. (See John 11:25-26.) Jesus endured death for us so that when we die and are absent from our physical bodies, our souls are with the Lord. (See 2 Cor. 5:8.)
Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. His messiahship was clearly on display, and it was Jesus’ claims to be the Son of God that would lead to His death on the cross. Jesus interrupted Lazarus’s funeral knowing His would soon follow.
When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, He showed that He has power over death. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life.” Jesus died on the cross for our sin and rose from the dead. He gives eternal life to those who trust in Him.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 103:2-3
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What did Jesus heal people from? Jesus healed people from sickness, sin, and death.
BIBLE STORY: JESUS RAISED LAZARUS
- Jesus’ friend Lazarus was sick.
- Lazarus had been buried for four days when Jesus got there.
- Lazarus’s sisters, Martha and Mary, said he would not have died if Jesus had been there.
- Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why did Jesus wait before going to see Lazarus?
- Why did Jesus cry even though He knew He would bring Lazarus back to life?
- What does this story tell us about Jesus’ power?
- Deliver a meal to someone who has recently lost a loved one.
- Take flowers to a cemetery to put on a gravesite. Retell the story and remind preschoolers that when Jesus returns, no one will die ever again.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus Was Anointed” (Matthew 26:6-13; John 12:1-8)