John’s Vision of Jesus
The one seated on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new.” Revelation 21:5
During this unit, we will be looking at God’s message about what will happen when Jesus returns in the Book of Revelation. The apostle John wrote the Book of Revelation from the island of Patmos. Patmos was a small Greek island where the Roman emperor often exiled prisoners. John was likely sent to Patmos as a prisoner, arrested for preaching the gospel.
With this Bible story, introduce your kids to the Book of Revelation—the last book of the Bible. Other Bible books tell us about things that happened in past, but Revelation tells about things that will happen in the future. A glimpse of the future kingdom of God gives believers hope and encourages them to remain faithful to Christ.
In Revelation 1, Jesus appeared to John in a vision to tell about the end of time. John was on the island of Patmos when he heard a voice telling him to write what he saw. John turned and, in a vision, saw Jesus: He was wearing a long robe with a gold sash wrapped around His chest. His head and hair were as white as snow, and His eyes were like a fiery flame. Because the Book of Revelation is highly symbolic, avoid dwelling on the physical description of Jesus. Jesus’ appearance to John reveals what Jesus is like: worthy of all honor, powerful, and victorious.
John saw Jesus walking among seven lampstands, symbols for the seven churches. Explain to the boys and girls you teach that lampstands are used to bring light into dark places. That is the purpose of the church—to bring the light of the gospel into a dark world.
When John saw Jesus, he fell at Jesus’ feet. Jesus reached down and put His hand on John. He said, “Don’t be afraid” (Rev. 1:17). Jesus showed Himself to John and explained that He is the First and the Last, the Living One. While Jesus was on earth, He defeated sin and death by dying on the cross and coming back to life. Now Jesus is lifted up in glory and honor forever and ever.We can look forward to a future with Him forever.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Revelation 21:5
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What will happen when Jesus comes back? Jesus will make all things new.
BIBLE STORY: JOHN’S VISION OF JESUS
- Jesus appeared to John in a vision.
- When John saw Jesus, he fell down at Jesus’ feet.
- Jesus said that He is the First and the Last, the Living One.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why do you think Jesus showed John the future?
- Why did John fall at Jesus’ feet?
- What did Jesus mean when He said that He is the First and the Last, the Living One?
- Look on a map or globe and identify islands.
- Practice finding the Book of Revelation in the Bible.
- Light a candle or shine a flashlight in a dark room. Talk about how the church is supposed to be like a light in the darkness.