Angels Spoke to Mary and Joseph
Luke 1:26-56; Matthew 1:18-24
Moses was faithful as a servant… But Christ was faithful as a Son. Hebrews 3:5-6
This week, we began our Christmas unit in The Gospel Project® for Kids and learned how angels announced the birth of Jesus to Mary and Joseph. God chose Mary and Joseph to be the earthly parents of Jesus by grace, not because of anything they did to deserve it. Jesus being born fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies of God providing a Savior for His people. God the Son has always existed, but He took on humanity so that He could live a life full of obedience to the Father, die paying the sin penalty owed because of people’s sin, and rise again from the dead proving that He has power over the grave.
Help your kids keep Jesus purpose in coming to earth central as they celebrate the Christmas season.
KEY PASSAGE: Galatians 4:4-5
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Why was Jesus born? Jesus was born to rescue us.
BIBLE STORY: ANGELS SPOKE TO MARY AND JOSEPH
- An angel told Mary that God had chosen her to be the mother of God’s Son.
- An angel told Joseph in a dream that Jesus would save people from sin.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How would you feel if you were Mary or Joseph?
- Mary praised God with a song. What is your favorite song for praising God?
- Discuss the true meaning of Christmas.
- Read the Bible story to your kids. Remind your kids that Mary and Joseph were real people who lived long ago.
- Take it further: Use an advent calendar or wreath to count down to Christmas. Talk about how God’s people had waited for the Messiah.