Joseph Explained Dreams
“You know no God but me, and no Savior exists besides me.” Hosea 13:4b
This week, kids learned what happened after Joseph’s brothers sent him to Egypt. Jacob had recognized his favorite son’s bloody robe and concluded that his 17-year-old son had been torn apart by a vicious animal. He was devastated by the news of Joseph’s apparent death. No one could comfort Jacob. (Gen. 37:33-35)
For the next 20 years, Jacob lived with the grief of losing a child. But Scripture shows us what Jacob couldn’t see: God was with Joseph, making him successful and blessing him in Egypt. Joseph worked for Potiphar, an official of Pharaoh, but when Potiphar’s wife falsely accused him of attacking her, Joseph ended up in prison.
God gave Joseph the ability to interpret dreams. Pharaoh’s cupbearer and baker were also in custody when they each had a dream on the same night. “Interpretations belong to God,” Joseph explained. Then Joseph told them what the dreams meant. The cupbearer would be restored to his position, but the baker would be executed.
Two years later, Pharaoh had a dream which no one could interpret. But the cupbearer remembered Joseph and his ability to interpret dreams, and Pharaoh summoned Joseph. God revealed what would happen: there would be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine.
Pharaoh took action, putting Joseph into a position of power to help prepare Egypt for the future. He recognized that Joseph was wise and that God was with him. God sent Joseph to Egypt and blessed him so that he rose to a position of great authority. God used Joseph to help Joseph’s family and many others. When Jesus came to earth, He gave up His position of honor in heaven to be the Savior of the world.
As you talk to your kids, point them to our God who is with us and blesses us. He blessed us in the greatest way by sending His Son, who gave up His position of honor, to be the Savior of the world. He calls us to action in sharing the gospel with the whole world.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIBLE STORY SUMMARY:
- God was with Joseph in Egypt.
- God helped Joseph explain dreams.
- Joseph explained Pharoah’s dream.
- Pharaoh made Joseph in charge of
collecting and storing grain. KEY PASSAGE: Hosea 13:4b
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Is there anything God cannot do? God can do all things.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How does it feel to get in trouble when you did not do anything wrong?
- How did God give Joseph an important job?
- Was God with Joseph even though bad things happened to him? Is God with us even when bad things happen to us?
- Collect Bibles to donate to a prison ministry.
- Consider raising money to give to an organization that provides beds for orphans and others in need.
- Pray for our nation’s leaders