Paul’s Second Journey
“You will be my witnesses… to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Paul was back at the church of Antioch in Syria. The church had sent out Paul and Barnabas to preach the gospel to Jews and Gentiles in places like Lystra and Derbe. Then they returned to the church of Antioch. Some time passed, and Paul wanted to return to some of the cities he visited on his first journey to see how the new believers were doing.
Silas accompanied Paul on his second missionary journey. The pair traveled through Syria and Cilicia (sih LISH ih uh), encouraging believers and strengthening churches. The number of believers in the churches increased daily.
The Lord called Paul and Silas to go to Macedonia, so they obeyed. Two major events happened while Paul was in Macedonia. First, a woman named Lydia became a believer. Paul and Silas had gone to the river to pray. They spoke to the women at the river. God opened Lydia’s heart to the good news of the gospel.
Then, a jailer became a believer. This happened when Paul and Silas were thrown into prison after Paul commanded a fortune-telling spirit to come out of a slave girl. Late at night, an earthquake rocked the prison. The prisoners could have escaped, but they stayed where they were.
This was a huge relief to the jailer. Had the prisoners escaped, the jailer would have been punished. In fact, the jailer was ready to kill himself when Paul shouted, “We are all here!” The jailer asked Paul and Silas how to be saved. They told him, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved.” The man believed and was baptized.
Lydia, the jailer, and many others were saved because they heard the gospel and believed in Jesus. Paul and Silas preached the same message to all people, no matter who they were: “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.”
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Acts 1:8
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- How do people hear about Jesus? God uses Christians to tell others about Jesus.
BIBLE STORY: PAUL’S SECOND JOURNEY
- Paul and Silas told all kinds of people about Jesus.
- A woman named Lydia believed the truth about Jesus.
- An earthquake came while Paul and Silas were in jail.
- The jailer and his family believed the truth about Jesus.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Who gave Paul the power to make the spirit leave the girl?
- Would you sing songs if you were in jail like Paul and Silas?
- What did Paul and Silas tell the jailer he must do to be saved? What must anyone do to be saved?
- Tie-dye purple cloth and reread what Acts 16 says about Lydia.
- Take a shopping trip to purchase clothes and toys for children whose parents are incarcerated.