Paul’s Third Journey
“You will be my witnesses… to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Paul’s third missionary journey was unlike his first two because he didn’t set out to plant churches. Instead, his mission was to encourage and strengthen existing churches. Paul wrote letters to the churches, but he knew some guidance was best given in person.
Paul’s journey began when he traveled to the city of Corinth. To make a living, Paul was a tentmaker. Paul became friends with two other tentmakers in Corinth: a man named Aquila and his wife, Priscilla. In his business dealings, Paul was able to share the gospel with many people. The church in Corinth grew.
Paul took Aquila and Priscilla with him to Ephesus. Ephesus was a thriving city in the Roman Empire. Aquila and Priscilla stayed in Ephesus while Paul traveled to other churches and encouraged the believers. While Paul traveled, Aquila and Priscilla interacted with a Jewish believer named Apollos. Apollos was a leader in the early church, and Aquila and Priscilla helped him better understand about Jesus and the Scriptures. Apollos went on to greatly help other believers by showing through Scripture that Jesus is the Messiah.
The Holy Spirit led Paul to go to Jerusalem. This wasn’t an easy call to obey. The Spirit revealed to Paul that imprisonment and suffering awaited in Jerusalem. (See Acts 20:23.) Hadn’t Paul done enough? He had spent years preaching the gospel, and many people believed. Wasn’t now a good time for Paul to retire comfortably on a beach somewhere?
But Paul did not cling to his own life. God helped Paul preach with courage even when he was in danger. Paul boarded the ship to Jerusalem, uncertain of the future but certain of the goodness and grace of the Lord Jesus.
As Paul traveled on his third missionary journey, he used every opportunity to tell people the good news about Jesus and to help the church. Paul was dedicated to Jesus, who called him to do the work of sharing the gospel.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Acts 1:8
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- How do people hear about Jesus? God uses Christians to tell others about Jesus.
BIBLE STORY: PAUL’S THIRD JOURNEY
- Paul met Aquila and Priscilla.
- Paul traveled all around to visit churches and help believers.
- Aquila and Priscilla taught Apollos more about Jesus.
- Paul met with the church leaders to tell them he was going back to Jerusalem.
- God helped Paul preach with courage.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Who can help us understand more about Jesus?
- Why was Paul willing to go back to Jerusalem even though he knew he would be put in prison?
- What is more important than having an easy life?
- Camp out in a tent in your backyard or at a campground. Invite another family to join you.