Paul Made Much of Jesus
“For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21
Paul wrote his letter to the church at Colossae not long after he arrived in Rome as a prisoner. The letter served to correct false teaching in the church and to encourage right living among believers. Focus on verses 15-20, in which Paul described who Jesus is.
Paul’s teaching to the Colossians was important because the believers were trying to figure out what it meant to follow Jesus. They were struggling to understand the gospel and discern what is really true. These are the same questions we face as believers today: Who is Jesus? What is the gospel? What is true about God and about myself?
Keep these points in mind as you talk about this Bible story with your kids.
- Jesus is the image of the invisible God. (Col. 1:15) If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus. His life and teaching tells us what is true about God. He reflects God’s character. (See Heb. 1:3.) Jesus Himself said, “The one who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).
- Jesus is Creator. (Col. 1:16-17) Because He created everything, He is in charge of everything—even invisible things! He controls and sustains all things. Because He is at the center, we can take comfort in Him even when life is hard.
- Jesus is King. (Col. 1:18) The reality is that we live in God’s kingdom. If we live for ourselves instead of Him, we sin. Sin is rebellion against the King. We deserve to die for our sin, but the good news—the gospel—is that Jesus came to save sinners.
As you share with your kids this week, help them see Paul made much of Jesus because Jesus is better. Paul encouraged believers by reminding them that Jesus is great. Jesus is God’s Son, and He died on the cross to rescue people from sin. The gospel is true, and Jesus is all we need.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: Philippians 1:21
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- When should we tell others about Jesus? We should tell about Jesus all the time.
BIBLE STORY: PAUL MADE MUCH OF JESUS
- Paul was a prisoner in Rome.
- Paul wrote a letter to the Colossian believers.
- Paul said that Jesus is most important.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What book tells us what is true about Jesus?
- Why is Jesus most important?
- Who is someone you can tell the good news about Jesus?
- Write Jesus is most important! on a sheet of poster board and post it prominently in your home. Challenge family members to think of reasons Jesus is most important. Use Colossians 1 to get you started. Write each reason on the sign. Add to the sign all week. At the end of the week, invite friends over. Show them the sign and see if they can add a few more reasons.