David Sinned and Was Restored
2 Samuel 11:1- 12:14; Psalm 51
“Sing a song of wisdom, for God is King of all the earth.” Psalm 47:7
This week are going to learn about God’s unending forgiveness that David experienced and we can too because of Jesus. David sinned against God by taking Bathsheba away from Uriah and having Uriah killed in combat, but when God sent Nathan to confront him about his sin, David repented and God forgave him. David’s sin came with a price though, as sin always does.
In the same way, we can receive God’s forgiveness too because God sent His Son, Jesus, to pay the price for our sin. Jesus died the death we deserve so that we could be made right with God.
Help your kids understand that sin is serious and that God has not promised to spare us from its consequences. At the same time, point out the love, mercy, and grace of God that we experience because of Jesus and how in Jesus we have been completely forgiven of all our sin.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 47:7
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Who is our King? Jesus is our King forever.
BIBLE STORY: DAVID SINNED AND WAS RESTORED
- David took Uriah’s wife, Bathsheba.
- David tried to cover up his sin.
- David said he was sorry for his sin, and God forgave him.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Think about everyone who was a effected by David’s sin.
- Tell about a time someone else was a effected by a wrong choice you made.
- Have you ever tried to cover up something you did wrong?
- Read Psalm 51:4. Talk about how even when our sin effects others, our sin is most of all a sin against God.
- David took something that did not belong to him. Challenge each family member to do the opposite and give away one item that belongs to him or her.
“Solomon Asked for Wisdom” (1 Kings 2:1-4,10-12; 3:1-15)