Jesus Turned Water to Wine
“He saw a large crowd and had compassion on them… Then he began to teach them many things.” Mark 6:34
Jesus’ ministry had begun. He called disciples and traveled to the region of Galilee. Jesus spent His time on earth teaching and performing miracles, preparing for His ultimate mission: to die on the cross for the salvation of sinners. Jesus’ miracles were signs that pointed to greater truths about who Jesus is and why He had come.
John 2 records Jesus’ first miracle at a wedding in Cana. Jesus’ mother told Jesus that the wine had run out. Culturally, running out of wine was a big deal. Weddings were important events, and the celebration could last a week. To run out of wine was a social disaster. But Jesus responded in a surprising way: “What has this concern of yours to do with Me, woman? My hour has not yet come” (John 2:4).
To understand Jesus’ answer, remember that Jesus’ miracles were not an end unto themselves. They were signs, pointing to something greater. When the wine ran out, Jesus turned water to wine to show that He is the Messiah, the Son of God.
Jesus offers us something greater than wine—Himself. Jesus is the true Vine. On that day, His hour had not yet come. Jesus knew what lay ahead; to give us Himself, He would shed His own blood by dying on the cross for our sin.
When Jesus’ disciples witnessed His miracle, the jars of wine were not the focus of their awe and wonder. Through the miracle, Jesus displayed His glory and His disciples believed in Him. Jesus was driven by His Father’s plan—not to simply solve the problem of lacking wine, but to solve the deepest problem we face, the problem of sin.
As you talk with your kids, point them beyond Jesus’ miracles to see Jesus for who He is. Jesus performed miracles to help people believe that He is the Messiah, the Son of God. Jesus has power over everything, and those who believe in Him will have eternal life.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: John 20:31
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Why did Jesus perform miracles? Jesus performed miracles to show He is God’s Son.
BIBLE STORY: JESUS TURNED WATER TO WINE
- Jesus went to a wedding feast.
- Mary, Jesus’ mother, told Jesus that there was no more wine.
- Jesus told the servants to fill six large stone jars with water.
- Jesus turned water into wine.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What did this miracle show about Jesus?
- Why do you think the wine Jesus made from water tasted better than the wine that was already served?
- Deliver water bottles to a local homeless shelter.
- Turn water into lemonade using a recipe. Set up a lemonade stand to raise money for a missionary or missions organization your church supports.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus Provided bread from Heaven” (Matthew 14:13-21; Mark 6:30-44; John 6:1-14)