Solomon Asked For Wisdom
1 Kings 2:1-4,10-12; 3:1-15
“The Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6
This week we pick up our journey through the big story of the Bible with God inviting King Solomon, David’s son, to ask Him for whatever he wanted. Solomon could have chosen riches, or power, but he did not. He asked God for wisdom so he could lead God’s people well. God was pleased with Solomon’s request and granted it and also blessed Solomon in other ways.
Solomon was a wise king, but God planned to give His people a greater and wiser king—His Son, Jesus. Jesus completely trusted God with His life. Jesus surrendered His own life to die on the cross for our sin.
Help your kids understand that true wisdom comes from God. Encourage them that reading the Bible and talking with God are ways they can understand God better and live with wisdom.
KEY PASSAGE: Proverbs 2:6
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God.
BIBLE STORY: SOLOMON ASKED FOR WISDOM
- In a dream, God said He would give Solomon whatever Solomon asked for.
- Solomon asked for wisdom.
- God gave Solomon wisdom, long life, riches, and honor.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What would you ask for if you could have anything?
- How would you feel if you were about to become the king of an entire country?
- Why was it better that Solomon asked for wisdom rather than riches or long life?
- Get to know a family new to your community by inviting them over for dinner or to a local restaurant. Ask each person to share what they would ask for if he or she could have anything he or she wanted.
“Wisdom for God’s People” (Proverbs 1:1-7; 3:1-12; 4:10-19)