God’s Covenant with David
2 Samuel 6-7
“Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom; your rule is for all generations.” Psalm 145:13a
The path to Israel’s throne was not easy for David. Saul had tried multiple times to kill him, and David had to flee for his life, leaving behind his good friend Jonathan. But God had appointed David to be king, and God was faithful. Leading up to 2 Samuel 7, Jonathan was killed in battle against the Philistines. Saul fell on his own sword, and David became the king of Israel.
David moved the ark of God to Jerusalem—a cause for joyous celebration—and settled into his palace there. God blessed David and gave him peace from his enemies. But when David looked around, something didn’t seem right. He was living in a majestic palace while the ark of God was in a tent! David determined to build God a temple. That night, God gave the prophet, Nathan, a message for David. “Have I ever asked you to build Me a house?” God said. No, for four hundred years—since God brought the Israelites out of Egypt—He had dwelled in a tent.
David had been a shepherd, but God made him a king! God promised to give the Israelites a place to stay so they wouldn’t need to move around anymore. God promised to give His people rest from their enemies so they could stop fighting. Though God denied David’s desire to build God a house, God promised to make a house for David: a dynasty of his descendants and an everlasting kingdom.
God promised David that every future king of Israel would come from David’s family, and David’s kingdom would last forever. God kept His promise by sending His Son, Jesus, as one of David’s descendants. Jesus is our King who will never die; He will rule over God’s people forever.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIBLE STORY SUMMARY:
- David wanted to build a temple to hold the ark of God.
- God did not want David to build a temple for Him.
- God said David’s son would build a temple for Him.
- God promised that every king of Israel would come from David’s family.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 145:13a
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- How is Jesus the perfect King? Jesus perfectly rules over everything.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Name some ways God has helped your family.
- Does God need us to give Him anything or do anything for Him? Why or why not?
- What forever king came from David’s family?
- Look at old family photo albums. Show children past generations of your family. Pray together for that future generations of your family would faithfully follow Jesus.