God Rejected Saul as King
1 Samuel 13:1-14; 15:1-35
“Sing a song of wisdom, for God is King of all the earth.” Psalm 47:7
Last week, we saw how Israel demanded a human king to rule over them. God’s intention was to provide the perfect King for His people in Jesus, so He warned Israel about the problems they would face if they chose a human king instead. The people did not heed God’s warning, and God gave them Saul to be their king.
This week, we will see that God’s warnings about a human king began to come true with Saul. Saul looked just like the kind of king that the people wanted, but he sinned when he tried to offer a sacrifice that only the priest was allowed to give. Because of this, God rejected Saul as king.
Help your kids understand that Jesus is our perfect King and that we can trust and follow Him completely.
Talk with them about our need to obey God completely and that we should do so because of our love for Him.
KEY PASSAGE: Psalm 47:7
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Who is our King? Jesus is our King forever.
BIBLE STORY: GOD REJECTED SAUL AS KING
- Saul ordered a sacrifice to God only Samuel was allowed to order.
- Saul disobeyed God by keeping the best of what belonged to the Amalekites.
- God said Saul could not be king anymore.
- God was going to give Israel a new king.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why was it important that the king obey God?
- Why is it important that we obey God?
- Can you think of a King whom God will never reject?
- Identify a nation ruled by a king or queen on a map or globe. Pray for the people of that nation and believers living there. Talk about how God is in control of all kingdoms.
“David Was Anointed and Fought Goliath” (1 Samuel 16-17)