Mary Praised God
“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.” 1 Timothy 1:15
God’s people had not heard a clear message from God for hundreds of years. Then one day, Gabriel—an angel of the Lord—told a man that his wife, Elizabeth, was going to have a baby. The baby’s name would be John. Then the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she would have a baby, and her baby would be God’s Son.
Mary and Elizabeth were relatives. Elizabeth was old and barren; she and her husband, Zechariah, had no children. Mary was a young girl—likely in her early teens. She was a virgin, engaged to be married to Joseph. The announcements of these pregnancies were miraculous for both women. Both babies had been foretold by the prophet Isaiah—John in Isaiah 40:3 and Jesus in Isaiah 7:14.
The angel Gabriel told Mary that Elizabeth was pregnant too, and Mary hurried to see her. The journey would not have been easy. Mary traveled nearly one hundred miles to see Elizabeth, and her arrival brought great joy to both Elizabeth and Elizabeth’s unborn baby. In the presence of the unborn Messiah, John leaped in Elizabeth’s womb. Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she said, “Mary, you are blessed!”
The story of Mary’s visit with Elizabeth gives us a remarkable picture of women living by faith. Being a young, unwed pregnant woman could have caused Mary to worry. Instead, her response is marked by her trust in God. Mary’s song reflects her knowledge of God’s Word and her understanding of who God is.
Mary was willing to follow God’s plan, even though being Jesus’ mother would not be easy. Mary wanted to bring praise to God. Likewise, Jesus brought praise to His Father by willingly dying on the cross to save people from sin.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: 1 Timothy 1:15
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What makes Jesus different? Jesus is God’s One and Only Son.
BIBLE STORY: MARY PRAISED GOD
- The angel Gabriel told Mary she was going to have a baby.
- Mary’s baby would be God’s Son.
- Mary praised God with a song.
- Jesus’ mother was Mary.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why do you think God uses people who have not done anything “special” in His plan?
- How did God show He can do anything through Mary and Elizabeth? How have you seen that God can do anything?
- Host a baby shower in your home for a local pregnancy support center or a foster family.
- Honor Mom by thanking her for specific things she does for each family member. Sing a song of thanksgiving to God for her.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus Was Born” (Matthew 2:1-12; Luke 2:1-20)