The Bronze Snake
Numbers 20:1-20; 21:4-9
“Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
This week we will experience the people of Israel grumbling to God in the wilderness. God punished them for their sin by sending poisonous snakes to bite the people. However, God also provided a way to be healed. He told Moses to place a bronze snake on a pole and whenever someone looked at it, they would live.
Because of our sin, we face a huge problem: we are separated from God. We deserve to die, but anyone who looks to Jesus on the cross and trusts in Him will live forever with God.
Help your children see that God takes sin seriously, but He also graciously provided a solution for sin: Jesus.
KEY PASSAGE: Joshua 1:9
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom can we trust? We can trust God.
BIBLE STORY: THE BRONZE SNAKE
- God provided water for Israel from a rock.
- Moses and Aaron disobeyed God and would not be able to go into the promised land.
- The Israelites complained. God sent poisonous snakes that bit the Israelites.
- God told Moses to put a bronze snake on a pole. When anyone looked at the bronze snake, he was healed.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What are some things we tend to complain about? Ask God to help you be thankful.
- How can we point someone to Jesus this week?
- Learn about snakes online.
- Go further: Research an unreached people group, pray for them, and consider how you can help take the gospel to them.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus’ Triumphal Entry” (Matthew 21:1-17; Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19:28-44; John 12:12-19)