Jesus Was Born
Matthew 2:1-12; Luke 2:1-20
“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.” 1 Timothy 1:15
Do you think it was just by chance that Caesar Augustus called for a census? Did it just so happen that Mary and Joseph were traveling to Bethlehem—the very place the Messiah was prophesied to be born? (Micah 5:2) God is in control of all things, which He showed by using a pagan emperor to bring about His plan.
After Jesus was born, Mary laid Him in a manger. A king in a manger! It was so unlikely. But Jesus was no ordinary baby. He was God’s Son, sent in the most humble of positions, “not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life—a ransom for many” (Matt. 20:28).
Imagine the shepherds’ surprise when an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared. The Bible says that they were terrified! But the angel brought them “good news of great joy.” (See Luke 2:10-11.) The people of Israel were well aware of their need for a Savior. They made sacrifices daily to atone for their sin. Finally, a Savior had come who would be the perfect sacrifice for sin, once and for all.
The birth of Jesus was good news! Jesus was not an ordinary baby. He is God’s Son, sent to earth from heaven. Jesus came into the world to save people from sin and to be their King forever.
Some time after Jesus’ birth, wise men came to worship Jesus. They brought Him gifts suitable for a king—gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Jesus is the King who will rule forever, just as God promised King David. (See 2 Sam. 7.)
Remind your kids that Jesus came because we needed Him. The purpose of Jesus’ birth was twofold: to bring glory to God and to make peace between God and those who trust in Jesus’ death and resurrection. Celebrating the birth of Jesus is about rejoicing over the greatest gift we could ever receive. God’s own Son came to earth to be our Savior and our King.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: 1 Timothy 1:15
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What makes Jesus different? Jesus is God’s One and Only Son.
BIBLE STORY: JESUS WAS BORN
- Joseph and Mary traveled to Bethlehem.
- Jesus was born as God promised.
- Shepherds and wise men worshiped Jesus.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Was it just a coincidence that Mary and Joseph traveled to Bethlehem to be counted?
- What makes Jesus’ birth such good news for all people?
- Bake Christmas-themed cookies to share with neighbors. When neighbors question the Christmas cookies, explain that Jesus’ birth is important all the time, not just at Christmas.
- Host a family worship time and sing songs that celebrate Jesus’ birth, such as “Joy to the World,” “Away in a Manger,” or “Silent Night.”
NEXT WEEK “Jesus at the Temple” (Luke 2:40-52)