From Abraham to Jesus
“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.” 1 Timothy 1:15
The prophecies concerning Jesus’ birth are numerous, and many of them refer to Jesus’ lineage. Old Testament prophecies tell of the promised Messiah being born from the seed of a woman (Gen. 3:15); from the seed of Abraham (Gen. 22:18), Isaac (Gen. 21:12), and Jacob (Num. 24:17); from the tribe of Judah (Micah 5:2); from the line of Jesse (Isa. 11:1); and from the house of David (Jer. 23:5). The prophecies said He would be born of a virgin (Isa. 7:14) and would be the Son of God (1 Chr. 17:13-14; Ps. 2:7). Jesus fulfilled all of these prophecies.
In Bible times, Jews took great care to accurately record family genealogies. The family a person belonged to was directly linked to property rights. Matthew 1:1-17 and Luke 3:23-38 both chronicle the genealogy of Jesus. The account in Matthew presents Jesus as the king of the Jews—the legal heir to the throne of David. The account in Luke was written to Greek Christians and focuses on Jesus’ descent from Adam.
Jesus came to earth as a baby in Bethlehem. Jesus had earthly parents, Mary and Joseph, but His true Father is God. Through Jesus, God kept His promises to Abraham and David. Jesus saves people from their sin and adopts them into God’s family.
When Jesus was born, He took on humanity—meaning He was fully God and fully man. As fully God, in Him “the entire fullness of God’s nature dwells bodily” (Col. 2:9). As fully man, Jesus has a human body, human mind, and human emotions. (See Luke 2:7,52; Matt. 26:38.) He is our sinless representative (2 Cor. 5:21), sympathetic high priest (Heb. 4:15), and substitute sacrifice (1 John 4:10).
Use this Bible story to review Jesus’ ancestors and their stories in the Old Testament. Help your kids recognize that God had been working out His plan to send Jesus over hundreds of years—through Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Jesse, David, Solomon, and Josiah. God sent Jesus to earth to save people from their sins.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
KEY PASSAGE: 1 Timothy 1:15
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What makes Jesus different? Jesus is God’s One and Only Son.
BIBLE STORY: FROM ABRAHAM TO JESUS
- Jesus is God’s Son.
- Jesus came to earth as a baby.
- Jesus had a family.
- Jesus came from the family of Abraham and King David.
- Mary and Joseph were Jesus’ parents on earth.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What do you think it was like for Jesus to leave heaven and come to earth as a tiny baby?
- Discuss the different members of Jesus’ family. Read stories from the Bible about them.
- Work together to construct your family tree. Experiment with an online genealogy site.
- Print a listing of children in foster care waiting on a home. Keep the list in your family vehicle. Pray as a family for a different child each time you find yourselves waiting.
NEXT WEEK “Mary Praised God” (Luke 1:26-56)