Deborah and Barak
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us.” 1 John 1:9a
This week, kids learn that the time of the judges continued after the death of Ehud. The Israelites fell into a continuous cycle of sin, bondage, deliverance, and peace. Every judge was imperfect, yet God worked through the judges. At the time when the Israelites were oppressed by the king of Canaan, Deborah was the judge of Israel. Deborah sent for Barak and encouraged him to take up an army and fight the army of Canaan and its leader, Sisera.
Deborah reminded Barak that God would hand Sisera and his troops over to him. (Judg. 4:6-7) Barak agreed to go, but only if Deborah went with him. Deborah went, but she informed Barak that he would get no glory for the battle.
When Barak went down from Mount Tabor with 10,000 men, “The Lord threw Sisera and all his army into confusion with the sword before Barak” (Judg. 4:15). Everyone in the army died, but Sisera escaped on foot.
Sisera fled to the tent of Jael, who invited him inside and gave him a drink. While Sisera slept, Jael drove a tent peg through his temple and he died.
Judges 5 records a victory song Deborah and Barak sang on that day, praising God for defeating the Canaanites. The land had rest for 40 years.
The Israelites’ sin had resulted in 20 years of defeat. God fought for the Israelites and used Deborah, Barak, and Jael to accomplish the Israelites’ victory over Canaan. As you talk to your kids this week, highlight the actions of Deborah and Barak, who willingly served God and used their gifts for His glory.
Use the Christ Connection to emphasize that God does what is for His glory and our good. (Psalm 115:3; Romans 8:28) God fought for the Israelites and used Deborah, Barak, and Jael to defeat Canaan. In a similar way, God uses people and events to not only save us from our enemies, but to teach us about our ultimate good: salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIBLE STORY SUMMARY:
- Judge Deborah told Barak that God would help him defeat Canaan and their leader, Sisera.
- God confused the Canaanite army.
- Jael defeated Sisera.
- God used Deborah and Barak to rescue His people.
KEY PASSAGE: 1 John 1:9a
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What is repentance? Repentance is turning away from sin and turning to Jesus.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why do you think Barak wanted Deborah to come with him?
- How do we know God won the battle for Israel and not themselves?
- What are some ways we have seen God work for His glory and the good of our family?
- Spend time reading about other notable women in the Bible, such as Rahab, Ruth, Esther, or Mary.
- Sing songs as a family that talk about the victory we have in Jesus