“For the Lord is our Judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king. He will save us.” Isaiah 33:22
This week, we continue examining the judges of the Old Testament with Gideon. Gideon was an unlikely judge. When God called him, he was afraid and was unsure if he could be used by God. God proved to Gideon, and the Israelites, that He is strong enough and that He is the One Israel should depend on.
The Israelites cried out to God because they knew they could not save themselves. Even Gideon was not enough to save them; God used Gideon to save His people, but God fought the battle for them. The people needed someone who was mighty to save. Jesus Christ came to save us from sin because we cannot save ourselves. Only God, through Christ, can save us.
Help your kids see that God uses our weaknesses for His glory.
KEY PASSAGE: Isaiah 33:22
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Whom does God use in His plan? God uses people in His plan.
BIBLE STORY: GIDEON
- God called Gideon as a judge to deliver Israel from the Midianites.
- Gideon used a fleece as a sign from God that He would be with him.
- God told Gideon that he had too many men and reduced his army to 300 men.
- God gave the Israelites victory.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How did you think the 300 men felt going into battle?
- What makes you afraid? Why? Ask God to help you remember He is with you.
- Research various phobias and what the Bible says about fear. Read 2 Timothy 1:7.
- Go further: Overcome a common fear by telling someone about Jesus or inviting him to church with you.
NEXT WEEK “Samson” (Judges 13–16)