Jesus Appeared to the Disciples
Luke 24:36-49; John 20:19-23
“He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” 1 Corinthians 15:4
Only a few days had passed since Jesus was arrested, beaten, and crucified. His followers were undoubtedly afraid and confused. They met together in a house, locking the doors because they were afraid of the Jews. Would the Jews do to them what they had done to Jesus? The disciples had believed that Jesus was the Messiah, but they had abandoned Him and Jesus was killed. How could He save anyone if He was dead?
But now some people were reporting that Jesus was alive! Could it be true? The disciples were talking about these things when Jesus stood among them. They thought they were seeing a ghost.
“Peace to you!” He said. What good news! Imagine how Jesus’ words might have calmed the disciples’ anxious hearts. Their Lord, whom they had deserted, didn’t show up to scold them for their failures or shame them for their lack of faith. He spoke peace to them.
Even though Jesus had foretold His death and resurrection (Matt. 20:17-19), Jesus showed His disciples physical proof that He was alive. He showed them His hands and His side. With His resurrection, Jesus’ mission was accomplished. He paid the debt for sinners, and the transaction cleared. But the disciples’ work was just beginning.
Jesus gave His followers a job to do: “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you” (John 20:21). This verse contains the Gospel of John’s version of the Great Commission. Jesus, the One sent from the Father, sent the disciples to be His messengers and representatives. Jesus equipped the disciples with the Holy Spirit to proclaim the gospel—the good news of what Jesus has done—to the world.
For 40 days, Jesus presented Himself to at least 500 people and proved that He is alive. (1 Corinthians 15:3-8) Jesus is still alive today. He sends out believers to tell others about Him and gives us power through the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:4
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What is our mission? Our mission is to tell others about Jesus.
BIBLE STORY: JESUS APPEARED TO THE DISCIPLES
- Jesus’ friends locked themselves in a house because they were afraid after Jesus died.
- Jesus appeared to His friends.
- He said to look at Him and touch Him.
- Jesus sent His friends to tell all people that He is alive.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Why is it important that God made Jesus alive again?
- Would you have been afraid like the friends were when Jesus appeared to them?
- Why do you think Jesus said, “Peace to you!” several times?
- Throw a “Jesus Is Alive” family dance party. Laugh, dance, and sing songs to celebrate Jesus’ resurrection. Say the disciples were so happy to see Jesus.
NEXT WEEK “Jesus and the Doubter” (John 20:24-29)