God Tested Abraham
Abraham believed God. Romans 4:3
This week in The Gospel Project® for Kids, our journey takes us to an event that occurred after Abraham and Sarah had their son of promise, Isaac. Abraham received another message from God. It was a test, actually. God instructed Abraham to take his son Isaac, the son of promise, and sacrifice him on a mountain God would tell him about.
Abraham had waited so many years for this child! But what did Abraham do? He woke up early the next morning and set out with Isaac to do what God commanded. By this point, Abraham had supreme faith that God was able to do anything. Hebrews 11:17-19 gives us a peek inside Abraham’s mind: “He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead.”
Abraham showed his love for God by being willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. God provided a ram for the burnt offering in place of Isaac, who was spared. This is how God showed His love for us: He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life through Him.
KEY PASSAGE: Romans 4:3
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- What did God promise? God promised to bless His people.
BIBLE STORY: GOD TESTED ABRAHAM
- God gave Abraham a son named Isaac.
- God tested Abraham by telling him to offer Isaac as a sacrifice.
- Abraham trusted God and obeyed Him.
- God provided a sheep to sacrifice instead of Isaac.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- Sometimes it is hard to obey. Tell about a time when obeying was hard for you.
- Abraham showed that he loved God most of all. What are some things you are tempted to love more than God?
- Lead your child to give away a favorite possession, such as a toy. Then replace the item. Talk about how Abraham was willing to give up Isaac, but God provided a sheep instead.