Isaac and Rebekah
If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed.
After God tested Abraham, Abraham named the place “The LORD Will Provide” (Gen. 22:14) God repeated His promise to Abraham: “I will indeed bless you and make your offspring as numerous as the stars of the sky … And all the nations of the earth will be blessed by your offspring” (Gen. 22:17-18).
God blessed Abraham’s life, and he was about 140 years old when he asked his most trusted servant to go to his relatives and find a wife for his 40-year-old son Isaac. Abraham believed God would keep His promise; he trusted that God had a wife for Isaac and that Isaac would have a family because he was the child chosen by God to carry the family line—to follow God, to lead the family, and to teach the next generation to follow God too.
Abraham’s servant asked God for a clear sign of who should be Isaac’s wife. When Rebekah appeared and agreed to give water to the servant—and also, she offered, to his camels—the servant knew God was at work. He responded with worship: “Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not withheld his kindness and faithfulness from my master” (Gen. 24:27).
Rebekah introduced the servant to her family, including her brother Laban. The servant recounted the events, and everyone agreed the Lord had chosen Rebekah to be Isaac’s wife. She traveled with the servant hundreds of miles to Abraham’s house. When she saw Isaac, she covered herself with a veil. The servant told Isaac everything that had happened. Then Isaac married Rebekah, and he loved her.
As you talk with your kids about this story, emphasize that God provided Rebekah as a wife for Isaac as part of His covenant to bless the whole world through Abraham’s family. One day, Jesus would be born into Abraham’s family as the promised Savior.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
BIBLE STORY SUMMARY:
- Abraham told his servant to go and find a wife for his son Isaac.
- God showed Abraham’s servant that Rebekah was to be Isaac’s wife.
- God gave Isaac a wife.
KEY PASSAGE: Galatians 3:29
BIG PICTURE QUESTION:
- Why can we trust God? We can trust God because He is faithful.
FAMILY DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- How did God answer Abraham’s servant’s prayer to find the right wife for Isaac?
- How was God’s giving Isaac a wife part of His promise to give Abraham a big family?
- How does God bless us through Abraham’s family?
- Lead each family member to draw a portrait of your family.
- Show children photographs from your wedding. Tell them the story of how you and your spouse met and fell in love. Single parents, tell children what it was like to welcome each child into your family.